Chapter 9 - Truth and Bullets Hurt

"Why didn't you tell me?" Derek questioned, annoyed that he had been kept in the dark about my secret. But isn't that the whole point of secrets, keeping as many people out of it as possible? "Why didn't Eric tell me?"

"Because we didn't know if we could trust you, Derek." I told him. He scowled.

"I'm starting to think the same thing about the two of you." He spat.

I could tell he felt betrayed by us. Eric and I had practically been a part of his family since birth. Derek was like a brother to me, Eric as well. But after he and Laura ran off when their family died we lost connection. And Eric was never told why Laura came back to Beacon Hills in the first place. Derek hadn't exactly been giving answers.

"Well now you know, happy?" I said, growing more irritated by the second. "I did just try and save your life, in case you've forgotten about the past five minutes."

"Yes, it's greatly appreciated," he stated. 

Stiles finally cut into the conversation. "Okay, your freaking life is in our hands, buddy, so if you could stop being an asshole for like five minutes that would really fuel our motivation."

Derek glared at Stiles, grabbing him by the color of his shirt. I yelled in objection, but was ignored. "Or I could rip your throat out...with my teeth. How's that for motivation?" Derek snarled. He let go of Stiles with force, practically throwing him at the window. 

"That's it!" I shouted. "I'm calling Eric."

"For what?" Derek asked as I pulled out my phone.

"To tell him to come and take care of you, because it's not our problem." I snapped. I found Eric's contact in my call history. 

"Oh this is very much your problem! Without me Scott doesn't stand a chance!" Derek said. He winced in pain once more.

"But he might with Eric." I stated.

Derek shook his head, sliding down into the seat. He was beginning to lose color again. He hadn't always been this grumpy and uptight. But something happened to him long ago, something that changed not only the color of his eyes but the very being of his soul. Even at my young age I knew that he had been in the wrong, and I still have yet to forgive him.

I listened to the rings as Stiles kept looking back at me, nervously. I could hear his heartbeat again, his pulse quickening. I knew he was becoming anxious, I was too. I groaned as I heard the familiar recorded sound of Eric's voice mail. Why wasn't he answering? What if something happened to him?

Don't question, just have faith I reminded myself. I just have to trust that Eric is okay, that everything is okay. Mom is watching him, she would never let anything bad happen.

Suddenly I began to wonder if Mom knows that he's a werewolf, and what she thinks about it. We had both promised her that if offered we would never take the bite. We understood how it would take over our lives, consume our being. I wondered if she was still proud.

"Did you hear from Scott yet?" I asked Stiles, more annoyance in my voice than I anticipated.

"No, he's not replying to my texts," he said.

I rolled my eyes. There could only be one reason for Scott's neglect to answering Stiles. "Allison."

"So what do we do?" He asked.

I glanced to Derek. He was grinding his teeth, his eyes flashing once again to their ice blue color. Beads of sweat were trickling down his forehead. His lungs pumped twice as fast to bring air into his heart.