Chapter 8 - Hiding the Broken

The next night was Scott's group date with Allison, Lydia, and Jackson. A part of me was nervous, not only for the thought of Scott ripping Allison to shreds, but just of him embarrassing himself at bowling. I know how much he likes her, so it would be a shame for him to somehow ruin that. 

Eric had yet to return home. I hadn't really expected him to. When my father questioned his absence, I told him that he was out with an old friend. Not a lie, but not exactly the entire truth either. Especially since that old friend just so happens to be Derek Hale. 

I could tell that he was slightly disappointed that Eric was out and not spending time with his family. I don't think he's even met Melanie yet, although I'm not sure he'll want to. The bitch never stops talking about herself or her filthy rich Congressman for a father. 

I was in my bedroom, actually doing some homework for once. Harris had assigned us the task of a four page lab report by Monday. I swear that man is out to destroy our teenage lives. But it also doesn't help when your brother was one of the biggest troublemakers Beacon Hills has ever seen. It doesn't exactly put you on good starting terms with many of the teachers.

I heard a soft knock on my door. I turned down the music I had been listening to, but kept typing up my report. "Come in," I said. 

My white door opened softly and I heard two pairs of footsteps enter. I looked up from my laptop to see Stiles standing with Dad. He looked nervous and frightened. He blinked a few times, averting from my gaze. His hands were stuffed into the pockets of his signature red hoodie.

"Someone's here to see you," said Dad, gruffly. I was as though he couldn't decide whether to be happy that I was making friends again or angered that a random boy just showed up on our front step.

Stiles raised one hand to give a small wave. I could only hope that Dad didn't scare him too much on the walk upstairs. Even though I know he's as sweet as a bag of candy, he does appear frightening. He did used to punch people's brains out for a living.

"Hi," I said. My voice cracked causing my stomach to twist itself into a knot. I cleared my throat and looked down in embarrassment. I cursed the blood that rushed to my cheeks. 

"I'll...uh...be downstairs, if you need anything," said Dad. He gave Stiles a look before taking a few steps backwards and leaving the two of us in silence. 

Stiles stepped further inside, leaving the door ajar. His face was pale and his eyes were a darker brown than usual. He just looked sad, and it made me sad as well. I need him to be happy, to be the one always cracking jokes and brightening my day. That's the Stiles I somehow found myself hopelessly attracted to.

I was the first to speak. "I don't mean to be rude or anything but...what are you doing here?"

He sighed and shuffled around the room, plopping himself down on my bed. I wanted to join him, but moving felt like too much of a task at this point. To my surprise, he remained quiet. Stiles is never quiet. He always has some kind of sarcastic remark to add to the conversation.

I decided to question his behavior. "Are you alright?"

He twiddled his thumbs in his lap, looking from them to me. He bit the inside of his lip, trying to get himself to form words. I felt bad. I wished that I could just pull it out of him without him actually having to tell me. I know how hard that can be sometimes. 

"Not...not exactly," he said, shaking his leg up and down. He was beginning to make me anxious. I could hear his heart beating in an irregular pattern. It worried me in more ways than one.

"Stiles," I said. "Calm down, I can hear your heart rate picking up."

He looked at me with confusion, as if I had just spoken in some foreign language. "You can hear my heartbeat?" He asked.