Chapter 5 - Trust Me

The next day the three of us found ourselves once again on the Hale property. Only this time it wasn't to do any snooping. We were there to watch an arrest.

I stood next to Scott as the police dragged Derek out of his house in handcuffs. My breath hitched in my throat. It was my first good look at him in six years. He'd gotten far more muscular - if that was even possible - and had grown stubble along his jawline. His scowl made my heart pound. I did this to him. After all those years of being family friends, this is what it's come down to. 

He glanced over to us, but his eyes widened when he saw me standing next to Scott. He fought the two cops holding him for a moment, never taking his eyes off of mine. I looked to the ground. I couldn't bear his gaze any longer. I already felt terrible enough as it is, even if he did kill that girl.

They pushed Derek into the back of a police cruiser and slammed the door. The officers began talking amongst themselves. Scott turned to me, a confused expression on his face. "Why did it appear as though Derek recognized you or something?"

I swallowed hard before answering. "Because he did."

Scott was about to question when Stiles broke his thought by running over to the police car Derek was currently in. "Stiles!" Scott hissed. He took a few steps to follow, but I held him back. Stiles opened the back door and slid in with Derek. "What the hell is he doing?"

"I have no idea," I said, letting out a sigh. Scott shook his head in disbelief. Stiles was putting himself in major risk sitting in the same vehicle as a murderer with razor sharp claws and fangs. He can be such an idiot sometimes. Although, I don't think he would do this if it wasn't important.

"Emma," Scott began after a moment of watching Stiles through the back window.

"Hmm?"

"That girl, she was a werewolf, but why was she in full wolf form?" he asked. 

I let out a puff of air. Scott turned around and took a few steps back towards me. His eyes were desperate for an answer, desperate to understand. I folded my hands together, swaying them from my chest to my thighs.

"According to my mother's research there are three different types of werewolves: An omega, the lone wolf, a beta, the pack wolf, and," I paused before finishing, "an alpha, the leader."

"So?" he pressed.

"So, sometimes an alpha has the ability to shift into a full wolf. That girl, she - "

"She was the alpha," finished Scott.

"From what I can assume, yes." 

Scott ran his fingers through his dark curls. He paced the dirt, letting this new information sink in. I know that my knowledge is helpful and all, but I wish I could do more. I wish that I could fix everything so that everyone can just be happy again. I know what it's like to be afraid and sad all the time, and I wouldn't burden that on my worst enemy.

I skimmed over my lower right abdomen, feeling the fabric of my forest green shirt between my thumb and index finger. I then pressed my thumb over it, feeling the texture of the skin underneath. The skin that has left me questioning my existence for the past three years.

"Scott," I said. He froze and looked to me. "Do you trust me?"

He tilted his head slightly. His lips were ready to say something when he turned to see Stiles being pulled out of the cruiser by his father. In that short time I had lost my courage to tell Scott. To show him the something I've been hiding. Now wasn't the right time.

He glanced away from Stiles' conversation with the Sheriff to look at me again. "I trust your information." he stated simply. I flattened my lips and nodded. It was a start.