Chapter 22 - The Dance

**Disclaimer** I do not own Teen Wolf blah, blah, blah...

 Emma's outfit in the external link -------------------------->

I stared at my reflection in the mirror, having just finished blow drying my hair. I was at a loss of what to do. I'm no good at this whole getting glammed up thing. I would call Lydia to come and help me, but she has to get herself ready. It was times like this that really made me miss my mom. She would know what to do; she was always good at looking beautiful. But me, I'm clueless.

Stiles would be here in little over an hour and here I am without my hair done, no make-up on, and still no idea of what shoes I'm even going to wear. This is why I've never gone to any dances in high school. They're far too much work.

I've never had to worry about things like this before. Usually my problems only consisted of keeping up with the local family of werewolves. I was never girly or materialistic, I'm still not. But, for once, I just want to look beautiful and feel beautiful. I want to make Stiles' jaw hit the floor.

I heard a soft knock on my door and it creak open without permission for entry. I turned around in surprise when I saw Melanie's reflection in my mirror, standing in my doorway. I looked at her with furrowed brows, annoyed that she would come in here.

"Your dad said I could find you here," she said. She moved to eliminate the distance that I wanted between us. "I remember my first high school dance,"

"Probably because it was only a couple years ago," I said, my voice sharp and snarky. I was never usually this rude, but she just brings that out of me. She flattened her lips and raised her eyebrows.

"Look, I know you don't like me because you think I'm trying to replace your mom, but I'm not. I know that no one could ever replace her. But I do love your dad, and I need you to understand that," she said.

I shook my head at her, turning back around to face the mirror. "Please, just get out,"

"I'm trying here, Emma. I trying to get along with you. I don't want to be your mother, just your friend. I've done everything, I've bought you gifts, I've reached out to you. What do I need to do to get you to even think about liking me?"

"You need..." I began, my voice low, "to get out."

She sucked in a breath in defeat. She took a few steps back before saying, "You know, your father has been worried sick about you since that night at the school. You could've been killed, Emma. I know your father can't bear to lose you, too."

I bit my lip. I felt so selfish for thinking that Dad was just trying to avoid Eric and me. It was stupid of me not to think of how shaken up he had to be after learning the truth. The one thing that my mother loved most, trusted the most, was the thing to end her. Now, it's back and we have no idea what his next move will be.

Melanie neared the door, and I tried to push away the thoughts in my head. I wasn't sure which I would regret more, saying it or letting her just walk away. But, the words came out before I had even another moment to think about it.

"Wait," I said. She froze in the doorway. "Would you mind...helping me get ready?"

She turned around with a wide smile on her face. "I would love to."

I was finally beginning to get it. Melanie never had the intention of replacing Mom, she knew better. I guess I just got the idea stuck in my mind and began hating her for it. She never really did anything bad. It was always just me not having an open mind.