Chapter 7 - Who You Think You Are

"He lives here?" Eric asked. I nodded. "At his old house?" He asked. I nodded once again. "Really?"

"Yes," I answered aloud, annoyed. "Now are we going to stop in and say hello or just gawk at this place all day?"

"Well someone's snappy today," he scoffed. "It is that ti- ?"

"I swear to god if you say time of the month I will not hesitate to kick your little werewolf ass."

I glared at him before he finally nodded and got out of the car. I followed suit, slamming my door shut. Derek knew we were here. He had to have heard us pull up. I know he's here too, I can just feel it. I looked up towards the house. I saw Derek peering through an upstairs window, confirming my theory. 

My boots crunched the dead grass underneath as Eric and I walked up to the door. My mind flashed back to thoughts of the house before it was charred to a crisp. It had always been one of the most beautiful houses in town, at least to me. It was never extravagant by any means, just simple. And sometimes simple can have the biggest impact.

"Derek?" I called out. "I know you're here. We need to talk."

"What do you want?" His voice rang from behind me. I turned to see him, dressed in all black, wearing a glare that would terrify anyone who didn't know that he was harmless. His mouth twitched when he saw Eric behind me. "Eric?"

Eric smirked, taking a step forward. "In the flesh and blood," he said, holding his arms open. 

Derek scoffed. "Huh, I thought you'd be dead by now."

"Dead?" I questioned. What the hell was that supposed to mean? I figured that Derek knew about Eric being a werewolf, considering they were in the same pack and all, but why would he assume that he was dead?

"I guess I've just got a little more fight in me than you thought," said Eric, a cocky grin spread across his face. Derek scowled. 

"Why are you back here, Eric?" Derek asked through gritted teeth.

"Same reason you are, Derek," he said, now pacing around Derek, only angering him more. "I'm here to figure out who killed Laura."

"And find your new alpha," added Derek. 

Eric froze. His smirk fell into a scowl. For a moment I thought he was going to attack, but then his face softened. I noticed him swallow before striding over to stand next to me. He straightened his back, making himself appear even larger. 

"And to protect my sister, because I know that you sure as hell can't." He corrected. 

I stared at him, baffled at what he said. Why does he need to protect me? He knows that I can't get hurt. Unless there's more to this that he's not telling me. But big brother's are just supposed to look out for you right? It's like an instinct...

"Your sister and her dumb ass friends got me thrown in jail!" Derek exclaimed, the veins in his neck bulging. 

"We had every reason to believe that you could've been the one to kill her!" I defended, surprised at the authority in my voice. 

"You really think that I would kill my own sister? Just for a little power?" He said, looking me dead in the eye.

"She wouldn't be the first innocent life you've taken." I said. 

Derek knew what I meant, and I knew that I had crossed a line. What happened all those years ago was never to be brought up, but I had to make my point. I felt my blood go cold at Derek's stare. He trusted me, and now I very well may have lost it.