Chapter I •

Amelia's POV

I made my way trough the massive crowd just to see my friend Abby dancing with some random dude. More like swaying back and forth and screaming along with the song. Oh Gosh.. She was wasted. "Abby!" I called after her, making her turn around to face me.

  "Hey!" She said, continuing her little penguin dance with a red cup in her hand.

There was nothing I could do. It had been an hour since we arrived and she was already wasted to the core. She swung around and lost balance, but before she hit the ground, I took her by her arm and kept her in place. "Are you okay?" I could already answer my own question. Of course she was not. She went completely wild that night..

"Never better!" She yelled and wrapped her long fingers around the plastic cup even tighter, showing off her perfect manicured nails. She raised the cup to sip from the burning alcohol, the 'elixir of her life', but soon realized it was actually empty. It took her a second till she started hysterically laughing at herself from drinking from an empty cup and throwing it away.

  I exhaled a slight breath before taking her by her shoulders so she would focus on me. "Have you seen Dylan? I can't find him anywhere." I said, trying to take what I could get. Abby was usually down to Earth when it came to drinking, but I didn't even want to start guessing how much of those cups she emptied. Looking over her shoulder, my eyes landed on a familiar dark hair, a familiar muscular back and the jocky catwalk that could only belong to one person. Dylan.

  Here's a quick recap: Dylan was my boyfriend. We were going out for 5 months after my return in the human world, and I remember starting to grow really close to him. The hours, days, months were passing by, flowing like a slow river, yet my secret remained unsaid. I felt guilty, partly nauseous for hiding such a huge secret from him. For telling him the 'public' story about me being a normal 19 year old girl who came to Petersburg to study college. But following the story, as 'rebellious' as I was, I ended up in trouble and got expelled, yet never told my parents. And yes, it seemed to work on him, almost perfectly. However, the guilt kept growing, making my heart heavier, 'cause I knew I was starting to feel something for this boy. At least some closeness..

  Looking back at Abby, she giggled, completely absent-minded. "Well, he was with you." She mumbled, starting to make slow moves with her hips again. I felt myself growing irritated with he situation. She was sometimes too much to handle and she didn't even know what could come across her way at times like that. The world was still not like the humans were seeing it.

  I glanced over at my side, trying to find someone I knew to keep Abby on her feet. And lucky me, I found a new 'guard' to fill in for me. "Oliver!" I yelled as soon as I saw him. He was one of my friends that helped me get a new ID. He was that kind of cute geeky type, having roots and communications everywhere. Within just a week, he managed to 'reverse' my identity, becoming my lifesaver.

  He glanced at me and grinned, walking closer. "Can you keep an eye on Abby?" I asked as soon as he walked over. Abby, on the other hand was very, very far away with her mind, already on the tenth sky by now. She was singing along with the song, having no clue about the lyrics and definitely out of tune. All we could do was find the laugh in the situation..

  "Yeah, sure." He said, taking her by her arm so she wouldn't fall. Once again, Oliver was somehow the hero. The lifesaver.

  "Thanks. I'll be right back." I yelled over the loud music before starting to push through enormous crowd. Everyone was having the night of their lives, dancing the night away with the plastic cups in their hands and filling the cold air with screams and shouts that were probably supposed to be singing. I on the other hand was with Dylan at the beginning until I lost him. He went to get us another drink and never came back. I ended up talking to a few friends inside the lake house, then got outside to look for him.