Chapter XVIII

Behind every kiss was hidden a wild desire, from both our sides. Behind every touch, my heart felt like it was going to explode from the overwhelming sparks of emotions. It burned me. Badly. He kissed me like there was no tomorrow, until we were both gasping for air. My legs were tightly wrapped around his torso as his hands were pulling me even closer if that was possible. A moan of pleasure escaped my lips, hot breaths, echoing trough the symphony of the silence. His lips continued leaving wet kiss marks down my neck, finding that simple spot of weakness.

  Even though the air was surrounding us, finding the perfect entrance trough my lungs, I kept gasping for more. And then, something changed again. The world around us that seemed like it was melted came back to the way it was. But something was different. I felt guilt this morning, and this... it wasn't guilt. My senses came alive, maybe too much. I opened my eyes, still holding on to Dimitri's shoulders to keep my balance from the pedestal. My hearing was suddenly sharpen, making my ears buzz. Screeching, voices, silence. And then all over again.

  I took in a few deep breaths, frowning at the sudden noises. The air was coming in directly from my mouth, making my throat dry. Dimitri noticed me pulling away slightly, and his kisses started slowing down, but never stopped. "Dimitri," I whispered, trying to make him stop. I knew is he did, so would the pleasure. I was surprised he hadn't heard the sounds yet. But even though he heard me perfectly well, he was too into it to stop. "Wait, stop,"

  I felt him pulling away slowly, letting out a frustrated breath. Our eyes met in seconds, but I continued concentrating on the sounds and my heartbeat bumping frantically against my chest. I could see the hunger in his eyes, but the irritation I just caused was also hard to hide. "Don't you hear that?" I asked after a few seconds as my heart continued this mad rhythm.

  Dimitri frowned, taking a small step backwards, listening. But soon, shook his head. "No, what?" He asked, completely confused. I jumped off the pedal, hardly able to keep my balance as my knees suddenly felt weak. I tried fixing my clothes, but I couldn't concentrate on anything else but the noises, the buzzing inside my ears that just seemed to get louder and louder. I could hear voices, many, but none of them were understandable. "Amelia, are you alright?" Dimitri's voice sounded slightly muted as he took a step towards me, placing his palm on my arm.

   Duh-duhn, duh-duhn... My heartbeat got mixed with the sounds. "T-that noise... Where is it coming from?" I managed to mouth out as I walked closer to the window, staring outside. But there was nothing there. Absolutely nothing except for the beautiful colorful garden.

  "Amelia, I can't hear anything. What are you talking about?" And that's when I heard a click in my mind realizing it was all in my head. Was it? It can't be. It was so loud, and just getting louder. Like someone was turning on the volume, making me feel like my soul was starting to vibrate. I frowned, the noises getting closer and closer. Deeper and deeper. I could see Dimitri mouthing out something, but just like that day when I saw Dylan, I couldn't figure out what he was saying. The buzzing sound was fading, disappearing, but the pitching sound was just getting louder and louder. Like a fire alarm.

  My breaths fasten up, my heart continued the rhythmic beat. But the fear, it started crawling trough me like an invisible shadow. For a second, I thought I was scared from the whole situation I was in, but it was something else. Something stronger. It was the fear. It was stronger. More demanding. I saw Dimitri walking towards me, seeing the worry in his eyes, but the fear in mine was far noticeable too. And then it came. The crossing line where all the other sounds disappeared suddenly, and only one dominated everything. The high pitch.

  I covered my ears with my hands, trying to do something to stop it. Anything. But no. It didn't stop until it got unbearable. Higher, and louder. Higher, and louder. I shut my eyes closed, as the pain from the noise hit my head and my body started giving out. Before the whole darkness took over, I saw something. A flashing picture for a mid second. Bars. Cold metal bars shutting and clicking. Like a flash from an old camera, the picture came and soon disappeared, but the pitch continued. I felt myself suddenly sinking down on my knees, still covering my ears, but I could only hear one thing. The 'fire alarm'. And so I screamed. I screamed loud, almost like my unconscious self was trying to mute the high noise by my own scream.