Chapter One: The Orphan

Alex's Point of View

I nearly screamed at the top of my lungs when I saw the group of Carmi waiting for me. 

At kasama pa ang maniac na boyfriend nito na si Fredrick.  Fredrick is flirting with me and Carmi was oblivious to her boyfriend's misbehavior. 

Hindi naman nakakapagtaka na magka interes sila na kaibiganin ako. My parents own the university. At least 68% of shares of St. Michael's University belong to my family.

"Hi Bella!" nakangiting sigaw ni Carmi.  

Isabella Alexandra Monterverde.

I prefer to be called Alex.  It's more simple.  Walang arte.  Hindi katulad ng Bella o Isabella. Feminine, extravagant, capricious, elegant...

I don't feel like I am precious to be called by such.

Carmi walked towards me and give me a slight cheek-to-cheek greeting.  I fake a smile.

"Hey.  What's going on?" kunwa'y nakakunot ang noo kong tanong.  Bumaling ang mga mata ko kay Fredrick and saw how he assessed me maliciously.  Ang mga mata ay humahagod sa kabuuan ko.  And I wanted to punch him hard when he stopped at the slight swell of my breast na lumalabas sa low-neckline blouse ko.  The nerve of this guy!

I threw him a sweet smile.  He smiled back na para bang sinasabi na maghubad na ako sa harap niya.  I just lifted a brow.  

Cool ka lang, this guy will be going to pay someday.

"We are going to a party Bella! Birthday ni Governor De Villa, and his son's welcome home party.  I think, we should go and check it out this weekend.  Fredrick's family is a very close friend of the Governor," Carmi giggles.  

I look at the rest of the group.  Chele, the daughter of a businessman, she is pretty alright, but her hairdo is quite absurd.  Katabi nito ang equally weirdo boyfriend na si Raymond Chua.  There is Arianna, the spoiled rich girl na mag mamay ari ng mga well-known hotels sa city.   And there is Louella and her boyfriend Jack.

They only resemble one thing.

They are more of play and pleasure.

"A-Ah...I have so many things to do eh, some other time maybe?"

Carmi rolled her eyes upward and tug my hand.  Napatingin lamang ako don.  

"C'mon Isabella!  And it's an open opportunity to recruit the son of a very influential man, don't you think?" she raised her thin eyebrow.

Natigilan ako.  "Son?"

Ngumisi si Fredrick.  "Yes, Bella girl.  Eugene Carlos De Villa, I have heard he is looking for a university."

I drew a deep breath.

This must be one hell of a night I have to endure!

NANG makauwi ako sa mansion, nag diretso ako sa kwarto at nag shower.  I easily removed my dress and put myself under the shower.  I sighed in relief ng maramdaman ko ang malamig na tubig na bumuhos sa katawan ko.  

I am just barely 20.  And soon to graduate from college.  I have no boyfriend.  But no one knows I am a certified virgin.  They have labeled me as a playgirl.  

Mas mabuti na ang ganon.  I am my mother's daughter after all!

Iniwan ng mommy ko ang daddy ko for another guy!  And my father was too weak to absorb the idea and there---he killed himself.

And as young as 13 I was fatherless.

I was taken care of by a hired help.  Si Nana Belen na siyang tumayong mayordoma/governess ng mansion.  My mother is MIA since day 1 na iniwan niya si Papa.