Chapter 6

"Mum, come on." A sigh escaped my heavily chapped lips as I attempted to pull my mum off the kitchen floor.

My guess what that she fell asleep here last night. Her pale complexion and black rimmed eyes accentuated just how drained she was.

"Please."

After Van left me home yesterday I was confronted with broken bottles and photo frames. Kyle was no where to be seen which was good but my mams current situation was not.

Her dull and empty eyes flickered open as the same blank expression that she wore everyday, appeared.

"You have school." She whispered in a raspy tone.

After finding her this morning I decided that school wasn't on the cards today. As much as she would hate to admit it, she needed me.

"Nah, you need to stand up though. Where's Kyle?" I muttered the last bit.

She rolled her eyes and slowly got to her feet.

"Kyle was a mistake. Guess I somehow got even more stupid. Drugs. What was I thinking?" She sighed.

I perked up at the mention of Kyle being a mistake.

"Let's just forget it. Go get a shower and take a nap. I can tidy all this up." I smiled, referring to the mass of broken glass.

"You shouldn't 'ave to put up with this. You'd be better with your dad."

I couldn't tell her she was wrong. I knew for a fact that my dad only drank at football games and wouldn't allow a cigarette touch his lips. He also would never let me in a house with a drug dealer.

But at the same time, neither would my mother a year ago.

She sulked up the stairs and went into the bathroom, slamming the door behind her.

I quickly turned my concentration to tidying the place up. Must've been in the zone considering I couldn't hear the door loudly knocking.

"Get that El!" My mam yelled from upstairs.

Brushing myself down, I ran to the door and opened it to reveal Van.

"You coming?" He asked, slinging his backpack over one shoulder.

"No I'm sick, don't feel like spreading it around." I chuckled, stepping in front of the door and slightly closing it behind me.

He looked at me skeptically which a little odd.

"Yeah, alright. See you later then." Van forced a smile before turning on his heels and heading down the road.

Van looked off today, his blue eyes that were always filled with excitement and passion were now consumed with a different emotion I couldn't quite grasp.

I closed the door and returned to my cleaning, how one woman can make so much mess beats me.

Eventually downstairs looked normal and I even had time to unpack a few things my mam hadn't gotten round too. Things like plates and ornaments. 

I checked my phone, replying to a message from Ade asking if I was coming in, she wasn't either so said about meeting for coffee at 11.