Chapter 13

School was non-other than its usual boringly long self. The lads had bunked to set up for the gig leaving Ade, Harper and myself to our own devices.

"I cannot wait for later." Ade grinned, stretching her arms out.

Art was a lot quieter without Benji and Larry, their normally loud and hilarious antics gave me some sort of energy but now I currently felt drained.

"I listened to the Rango CD Van gave me, they sound bloody ace together." In all honesty I must've replayed the song at least fifty times before my mum got annoyed.

The lyrics had been in my head all day.

"That's what you were humming too earlier!" Harper gasped, her mouth parted in realisation. "I've been trying to figure out what it was all day."

Ade chuckled lightly before leaning forward, "Larry told me a little something about you meeting Vans mam and dad, how'd it go?" She winked.

"It was alright, Bernie and Mary are class." I shrugged, keeping my eyes looking down at my painting.

Harper gasped once more.

"You met his parents! Jesus Christ, leave the pair of ya for five minutes and big things like 'at happen."

"It wasn't anything big."

"Come on El, Van doesn't introduce just anyone to his parents." Ade sighed.

Personally, had my mum not sent me that message, I don't think I would've been in Vans home or met his parents. That's why I wasn't making a big deal of things, he was probably just being nice.

The girls and myself talked about random things like horror films that Ade wanted to see in the cinema and Harper's new career path, a veterinarian.

That girl changed her mind like the weather.

Eventually school came to an end and I began to walk home. It was weird not walking with Van but I enjoyed having some alone time.

My mum had already got the locks on the door changed so when I arrived home I had to stand outside for a good ten minutes, ringing the door bell until she finally answered.

"Your new key is on the kitchen counter." She greeted, popping her head out the door to look around.

My mum had been on edge since yesterday, the sound of the kettle boiling even had her searching the house in panic.

I on the other hand was trying to not let it get to me. Keeping a cool exterior was something I did well, even when I was freaking out on the inside.

After checking the time, I needed to make a move on. Tonight I was meeting Ade and Harper at a bar which meant I needed to firstly find the bar.

I practically jumped into the shower, got washed and then did my hair. Drying my hair was a long and almost painful experience because after being in a hunched over position, drying my hair upside down for over twenty minutes, my back killed.

Grabbing a hair-tie, I pulled my long hair back in a ponytail and moved into makeup.

When I felt like my face was fully moisturised I dabbed on concealer, applied foundation, set the foundation and moved into my eyes. Filling in my eyes brows was thankfully easy so I quickly did a soft smokey eye and grabbed my liquid eyeliner.