Chapter 8

"I know about the burn on your arm."

My blood ran cold and my heart almost stopped. I felt like I was paralysed, Van's angered and concerned eyes had me frozen.

Larry had turned white with his mouth agape. I shouldn't have put him under that pressure, of course he would say something. It wasn't exactly something you could brush under the carpet.

Van softly took a step closer to me. He winced when his fingers slowly pulled my hair back and saw my cheek.

"I'm so sorry El, I thought you told 'im and it came out." Larry apologised.

I wasn't angry at him. He cared enough to try and keep it in.

"Don't be sorry Larry. You did nothing wrong." I choked out, avoiding any type of eye contact with Van.

He was still examining my cheek. His eyes wide and his lips slightly parted. I knew it wasn't a pretty sight.

"Who did this Eleanor?" Van spoke up.

He already knew the answer, all he wanted was for me to confirm it.

"Kyle."

My voice went shaky and when it came to trying to explain how it happened, my eyes started to water.

"He said I lost him a customer. My mum. I called him sick and then he grabbed my arm and pulled out a shard of glass."

"He slashed my cheek and ran. Said that pain was nothing. He's going to do worse, I know it."

By then my eyes were flooding with tears, some falling down my cheek. Larry was nervously playing with his hands but Van who had previously been filled with anger, had softened up.

"It's going to be okay El." He hummed, wrapped his arms around me.

I hadn't up until that point, realised how tall Van was. He was at least another half a head bigger than me.

His hands gently rubbed up and down my back, it was sort of soothing in a way. I felt safe tucked into the crook of his neck, but I also felt bad for probably getting makeup on his t-shirt.

"I'm sorry Van." I frowned, my voice weak and small.

"Don't be sorry love. I get why you didn't want to say anything, I was a bit harsh." He chuckled.

His grin could light up anything, including my heart.

Just as he pulled away Larry jumped up and threw his arms around me.

"I'm sorry." He repeated at least eight times.

A smile grew on my tear-covered face.

"Don't be sorry, you were right. I was jus' too stupid to see that I could actually trust certain people."

Thankfully he started smiling and the overall atmosphere of the room brightened.

"Has he left your house?" Larry asked, a glint of worry in his eyes.

"He hasn't been near it since last Saturday."

"Well he better not come near it or you again." Van muttered lowly.

I knew I could trust Van and Larry to keep this quiet. They wanted to help me and I was thankful for that, I jus' didn't want either of them to get hurt too.

"Mate, Kyle's always around my place. Not my house but that area, he creeps me out." Larry shivered.

"He's a prick." Van sighed.