Chapter 17

My heart pounded in my chest as the words fell from his lips. I had heard Van say the phrase before but right then, the passion and care in his voice made my knees go weak.

A Cheshire-Cat grin covered my lips as I plucked up the courage to say it back.

"I really like you too Van."

Any trace of alcohol in my system was drained and replaced by immense happiness.

"That's good." He smirked playfully before placing his lips back on mine gently.

"Ask 'er out already!" Larry and Harper's voice groaned from outside the door.

Our cheeks went crimson as Van averted his gaze from the door to my eyes. I felt like my heart was going 100 miles per hour and I couldn't imagine how Van was feeling.

"What do ya say Eleanor Harding? Wanna be my girlfriend?" Van tried to play it cool by winking but it just resulted in the two of us laughing.

"Sounds cool Ryan McCann." I giggled uncontrollably.

Smiling, he put his finger under my chin and raised it so that I was looking at him before planting a soft and sweet kiss on my lips.

"Let's get downstairs before they think we got lost." He chuckled, standing up and putting his hand out to help me up.

As Van opened the door, we were met with an excited Harper and Larry who were staring wide-eyed at our entwined hands.

"Yes mate! Told ya they would get together!"

"Oi I said they would too!"

"Congratulations by the way!" The pair said in unison.

Laughing, we all went downstairs and rejoined the group. They were all blitzed, dancing out of beat to music and spilling their drinks.

Overall, a class atmosphere.

-Van

My chest was still going mad, I honestly didn't think I'd ask El to be my girlfriend tonight but I'm bloody well glad I did.

Much to my dismay, El let go of my hand to go dance with Harper. Although Larry was quick enough to fill the empty space beside me.

"Fucking class mate, I'm real happy for you and Eleanor!" He beamed, patting me on the back.

"Thanks mate." I chuckled.

"Wanna head out back for a smoke?" He suggested.

I looked over to El who was dancing perfectly with Harper. Her long hair was everywhere and her makeup was slightly smudged but she still looked effortlessly beautiful.

"Yeah."

I followed Larry out to the garden, sitting down on one of the deck chairs opposite him.

"Lid, El's my girlfriend." My mouth parted in amazement as I stared at nothing particularly.

He laughed, "I know mate it's mad. You two are  gonna be great together, I can already tell."

"What about you and Harper?" I smirked.

His smile lessened, "I dunno mate. She thinks of me like a brother and I don't wanna fuck that up." He admitted.

I got where he was coming from but at the same time, he's liked Harper from God knows when. I had mad respect for Larry like that, the lad has the patience of a saint.

"Sometimes you gotta take risks lid." I patted his shoulder before exhaling smoke.

He nodded after blowing smoke up into the air.

We finished our ciggies and returned to the living room. It was almost three in the morning and everyone looked like they were getting tired.

"Mate I am going to regret this in the morning." Bob groaned, putting a hand to his head.

"Unlucky!" Benji yelled before it dawned on him that he too was going to regret drinking so much when he wakes up later.

El had finally returned to my side on the sofa and was sleepily leaning her head on my shoulder.

"You tired?" I asked gently as she struggled to keep her eyes open.

"Mhmm." That was all that she could get out before her eyes slowly shut.

Ade walked over with a smile on her lips, "jus' get her skinny jeans and boots off. Her sweater reaches her mid-thigh anyway so she's covered up."

I admittedly felt weird about it. Although I knew how uncomfortable it was sleeping in tightly fitted jeans so I mustered up the courage and went for it.

Thankfully El was half-asleep and able to help me out a bit.

"Thank you Van." She yawned before returning fully to her slumber.

Chuckling, I set her stuff neatly away and grabbed a duvet and pillows from Bondy.

"Congratulations mate." He whispered knowing that everyone was falling asleep.

"Thanks Bondy, are Ade and yourself official yet?" I smiled.

"Nah." He shrugged, "we may as well be but we 'avent got round to saying it yet although it's all good. I'm gonna head to bed now lad, night."

"Night mate."

I dragged the heavy quilt over to the sofa and propped El's head up with the pillows. Just as I was wrapping her up in the duvet her sleepy eyes opened and she pulled the covers back.

"I'm cold." She giggled, patting the space beside her.

"Christ El, you'd say anything to get me into bed with ya." I joked.

"Firstly, this is a sofa and secondly, you wish."

Smiling, I swapped my jeans for footie shorts and my dressy shirt for a plain t-shirt.

Usually I'd go to bed in much less but I didn't wanna freak El out. Nervously, I got in beside her and pulled the covers over myself.

Bob was passed out on the ground and Benji was only up to switch off the lights, conking out on the other sofa straight after.

Chuckling lightly, I turned into my side. El shuffled closer towards me and I naturally draped my arm around her waist. Everything felt so good, almost too good to be real.

"Night Van." El's soft voice whispered.

"Night El."

It's one in the morning and I should probably go to sleep now...

Goodnight my lovlies😘xxxx

💫💫💫💫