Chapter 20

"But that doesn't make sense." Harper sighed for the third time that minute.

"It's not meant to, it's algebra." Ade whispered, removing her gaze from her phone to Harper's paper.

A look of defeat formed on Harper's face before she put down her pen and pushed the maths booklet away.

"I don't even care anymore, I've repeated this stupid subject more times than I can count, literally!" She huffed.

I sniggered only to receive a glare from the art substitute teacher.

"Do I have to move you girls? Honestly." She scoffed. The woman possessed the poshest welsh accent I've ever heard in my life.

Simultaneously, we shook our heads and returned to our given tasks. I was fixing up a portrait painting of mine whilst Harper tried to revise maths and Ade texted Bondy. Extremely boring stuff.

20 minutes into intense shading with a paintbrush, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I instinctively pulled the phone out of my jacket pocket and looked at the home screen. It was Van.

'You in art? Gonna sound like a soppy git but I miss ya xxx'

I could feel my lips automatically turn up and I was positive that I looked like an idiot smiling at my phone that big. Quickly, I typed a message back before sliding my phone into my pocket and returning to my work.

Seconds passes before my phone vibrated once more displaying another message from Van saying 'Ask if u can go to bathroom. Go to the ones by music department xxx'.

The laziness within me groaned at the idea of having to move but it was to see Van, so it was definitely worth it.

My hand shot up and after minutes of fake coughing, I finally got the substitutes attention.

"Can I go to the bathroom?" I asked.

She checked the clock before letting out a sigh and nodding.

I sped walked in the direction of the bathroom before a door opened and somebody grabbed me, pulling me into a room. A scream tried to escape my lips but was blocked by a hand. When I finally opened my eyes, I saw Van.

"Oh my god, you're such a dick!" I gasped, a small smile tugging on my lips.

"Shut up, isn't this how it goes in them movies you and the girls watch? Boy drags girl into storage closet and they 'make out' and return to class?" He smirked.

"It seems a lot more nicer in the movies." I chuckled, "you scared me to death."

Smiling, Van leant in and put his lips against mine. They were cold and possessed a permanent scent of smoke and spearmint. However, I adored it.

"We should probably head back." I mumbled, a bit sad of the idea of leaving Van.

"Aye, I've got to go get back to writing new tunes." He smiled.

"Have you got a free period now?" I asked as we quietly made our way out of the storage room.

"Nah." He admitted, "I'm actually in geography but I seriously couldn't be assed with it."

I loved that Van was so dedicated to his music, however deep down I kind of wished he would put a bit more effort into his work. Not that I didn't think he and the lads could make it big, but I just felt that it was better to have at least one fall back plan rather than none at all.

"Well you have fun with that, I've got a portrait to finish." I yawned.

After a quick hug we said our goodbyes and went back to class. The substitute had left the class when I returned so I got in quickly and sat in my seat.

"How's Van doing then?" Harper winked as I settled down.

"Huh?"

"She means to say, how was Van when you two left your classes to go meet up presumably in one of the cleaners closets?" Ade reworded.

My cheeks went red even though I hadn't done anything to be blushing about. I'm pretty sure from Ade's presumption that she's been in them closets more than once doing god knows what.

"We just caught up." I shrugged.

Harper playfully rolled her eyes before the school bell rang overbearingly loud.

"Well, if sticking your tongues down each other's throat is the new 'catching up', I need to go find Bondy!" Ade winked.

Eventually the bell rang for lunch and stampedes of people headed towards the cafeteria.

"Jesus Christ, you'd think they never get fed." Harper sighed as we took our seats.

Soon enough our table began to fill, although one seat remained empty. Van's.

"Where'd Van head off too?" Larry raised a brow, noticing the lack of Van's presence at the table.

"Left to go put up posters for our next gig." Benji informed with a mouthful of pasta.

I had noticed that this was something Van did a lot. He would just randomly disappear to cover the entire town in Catfish and the Bottlemen posters. God knows how he manages to get out of school without being caught or stopped.

Conversations about gigs, teachers and plans for the weekend occurred until an overpowering perfumed scent surround me and a finger tapped my shoulder. Kathleen.

"We have physical education next, right?" She smiled innocently, chewing obnoxiously on a piece of chewing gum.

"Yeah." I nodded.

"Perfect, see you there."

With that, she was off... And definitely up to no good.

A/N

Guess who's back????!!!!

GCSE took over my life and A-Levels are slowly beginning to do the same however, I am determined to get back into the swing of things with this book!

I hope everyone is having a lovely Halloween and half-term holiday!❤️❤️

XXXX