Chapter 1

"Riley, I think it's too late for us to turn around." I chuckled halfheartedly. "Besides, even if we could you know my mom would not turn around. She is too far gone with the whole idea of a fresh start".

"Cant I just kidnap you and we could forget this whole disaster ever happened? You know, I bet we could live together, just you and I. I mean it sounds difficult now, but we could do it...." Riley prattled on and on until my hand was getting tired from holding up the phone. Little did Riley know that every one of Riley's little fantasies just had me sinking deeper into my own personal hell.

"So what do you think Maya? Tomorrow you could sneak out, get on a plane and we could live in a little apartment. Together, we could make enough money to deal with bills and everything we would need. Maya?"

"Riles, you know I can't go back home. I only have five dollars. I can't imagine me getting on a plane with that. I promise I will visit every chance I get. And do you really think I could just drop my mom like that? I am all she has."

"Fine, but Maya promise me something." I knew Riley was holding up her finger that contained our friendship ring so I also raised mine. My eyes were threatening to overflow. I would miss Riles more then anything else I left in New York.

"Sure". Sure sounded good. Nonchalant, like this was not tearing me apart.

Riley's voice was serious and lacked her usual silly tone. "First, promise me that you will Skype me at least once every other day. Unless something serious prevents you from doing so. Second, promise me you will not replace me with someone who does not deserve you." Riley's voice chocked up during the last promise. Riley was silly. She was too important to replace.

I sighed, "Riley, do you really think anyone could replace the only person with knows how my brain works? I only have one silly, amazing, sensitive friend and that is you. No more talk about replacement Rileys'. Now the first one I do promise. The second doesn't deserve our ring power."

I heard a knock on the door of my new room. My mother, Katy, opened the door and poked her head in. "Maya, can you please help me deliver this fruit basket to the neighbors? As a resident of this household, it is only appropriate for both of us to deliver it." My mother smiled and sat down the basket full of various fruits then turned and left. I know its a tradition for people to give baskets to the people moving in next door, not the other way around but frankly we don't do anything right, so why start now?

"Riley-"

"I heard Maya. Call me back when you can. I miss you."

"And I miss you too Riles..."

I threw my phone on my small bed and looked around my new room. It was bigger then the one in New York and it did not have a leaky roof or a hole in the wall. Instead it had a large bay window overlooking a green yard, a caramel colored ceiling, unique wallpaper, and wooden flooring. It was nice to look at I guess, but it wasn't home. I looked around one last time at all my belongings that fit in three boxes and two trash bags full of clothes. I turned on my heal and grabbed the fruit basket, closing my door behind me. I slowly went down the stairs that lead to the living room and absorbed every new detail of this house from the tan walls and plush white carpet to the oak doors with small wood details. Katy was at the door talking to a beautiful woman with short blond hair and delicate features.

My mother turned to me with a big smile. " This is my daughter, Maya." She swept her arm in my direction. I walked up to the door and smiled at the seemingly friendly woman.

"Maya, you are so beautiful!" She offered a sweet smile. "I am your next door neighbor. I wanted both you and your mother to know that you are welcome to my house if you ever need anything at all."

"Thank you for the offer. I won't forget. I believe this is for you." I stretched my arms towards her and offered her the fruit which she took with a smile.

"I think we will all be great friends." The woman and my mother conversed for a few more minutes but I wasn't paying attention until the door was closed, snapping me back to attention.

"Well that was nice." My mother smiled but I did not have it in me to smile back. I was too depressed about the recent chances and blamed her, even if she thought it was for the best. I turned and went back upstairs to finish unpacking so I could get ready for my first day of school the next day.