Chapter 13

When I left Farkle's room, I immediately ran into my bedroom down the hall then threw myself on to my bed. I glared up at the ceiling for several minutes until I heard a light knock on my door; I covered most of my face with a pillow, allowing me to see the door. Lucas slowly  tiptoed into my room, glancing at me several times. He grabbed he jacket then laid a note on the side of my bed. He obviously thought I was asleep, seeing as my face was covered with a pillow. I slowly sat up as he was leaving, I cleared my throat.

        "Are you leaving?" I asked, though it was obvious he was. Lucas smiled at me then crossed my bedroom to sit beside me.

          "Yah, I was going to get ice cream then I hoped we could talk about you possibly becoming a singer. " Lucas kissed my forehead then started to get up, but I grabbed his arm and asked him to stay. I really did not want to be alone. He frowned at my expression, so I quickly arranged my features into a reassuring smile.

            For several hours, Lucas and I talked about the future and out pasts. I wanted to know what his childhood was like and him mine, though he was disappointing when he heard about my lack of a father influence. His father and mother divorced but the two of them are still pretty close. About once a month, Lucas's father comes to visit him for a few hours. I loved hearing about Lucas's childhood friend, Zay. I loved hearing about him, because Lucas would go from being serious to being extremely happy as soon as his name would be mentioned. Evidently, the two of them went through a lot together throughout their years as friends.

         I suddenly became aware I was being selfish. How many times had Lucas and Zay seen each other since Lucas and I met? When I brought this up, Lucas simply said, "You are the best thing to ever happen to me, I would find it difficult to be with Zay and not being worried about you constantly." I was flattered that Lucas thought I was the best thing to ever happen to him but that did not mask the disapproval I felt about Lucas not seeing his best friend very often anymore.

        "How about we all go out then? You, me, Riley, Farkle and Zay." I smiled at him, knowing he would not say no, first he got to be with me and second he would see his best friend. He nodded then we continued on talking about our lives.

         About an hour later, I decided I did want to sign with the music company. I was nervous that they would end up disappointed or I would become self-centered. Lucas assured me that it were not possible for either one of those things to happen, but I disagreed. Lucas, Riley, Farkle and I spent the rest of that Saturday watching movies, my favorite being Coraline; I loved the creepiness and attention to detail in the art. Lucas stayed the night again, this time sleeping on the floor next to my bed. My mom may trust me but she did not fully trust him, which I not-so-secretly found funny.

       Lucas and I talked for a few minutes before he fell asleep. As I listened to his light snoring, I realized I was falling in love with him... I may not have been in love at that moment, but I could feel it coming. I felt hope.