Chapter 16

Josh

                  Was I mad? Was I jealous? Right then I had no answers, all I knew is that seeing Maya with Lucas made my stomach turn. Its only been over one year since I last saw Maya, but she grew even more beautiful, something that was hard for me to believe. Her hair had grown longer, her eyes seemed brighter, and she overall looked more mature. A part of me felt like I came to Austin to see and comfort Riley, but an even bigger part of me knew I wanted to see Maya... Last time I saw her, on the 4th of July, I realized how much she had grown. I also realized I may have been wrong, three years was not a big age gap. The last day I saw her, I also took a picture of her... She always seemed to look beautiful.

                       I mentally shook myself then glanced at Maya and Lucas sitting next to me

                       I mentally shook myself then glanced at Maya and Lucas sitting next to me. She appeared happier then I have seen her in a while. Lucas's arm was wrapped around her and she was leaning into him. Maybe, it would be best if I pretended to not feel anything for her... At least for now. That's what you do when you care about a person right? You look out for them and I do not want to make Maya have to choose between Lucas and I. Besides, if she chose Lucas I knew that would hurt me quite a bit and I did have some sense of self-preservation.

                         Just then, Lucas glanced at me, protectively tightening his grip on my Maya. I felt myself tense up but I fought to keep it down, I did not want to hurt Lucas. That would hurt Maya. I sharply turned my gaze back to the movie Maya liked.

                    How could everything change in a blink of an eye?

Maya

                 The next day-

                  I felt gentle hands shake me awake. I stretched out, my eyes still closed then felt a pair of lips kissed my nose. I opened my blue eyes to meet Lucas's green ones. Lucas was grinning ear to ear as he stared at me.

                   "Good mornin' darlin'." Lucas whispered, taking my hand in his. I mouthed, "Morning." as he pulled me out of bed.

                   "I bought you an outfit." Lucas said grinning and he pointed to a box at the foot of my bed. "Meet me downstairs when you are ready." Lucas continued, then kissed my forehead and left me alone to change.

                     I walked up to the box then opened it, revealing a red lace skater dress, black heels, and a black choker necklace. I smiled to myself, surprised that he paid enough attention to what I like to be able to buy an outfit.

                     I messed up my hair a little bit then applied more makeup then I have worn in a while; the whole routine, foundation, powder, eyeliner, mascara, eye shadow, blush, and lipstick

                     I messed up my hair a little bit then applied more makeup then I have worn in a while; the whole routine, foundation, powder, eyeliner, mascara, eye shadow, blush, and lipstick. I smiled at my reflection, pleased with myself. I put on the outfit which was surprisingly comfortable. I then walked down the stairs but I was met half-way by a wide eyed Lucas. He offered his hand, helping me down the stairs. Farkle, Riley, and Josh were sitting on the couch watching television, getting ready to leave for school, all besides Josh anyways. He graduated last year.

                      As soon as Josh and Farkle saw me, they jumped up from the couch then stared at me for so long I started to blush from embarrassment. Lucas's hand tightened around mine as we left, I waved over my shoulder. Josh and Farkle were staring with their mouths gaping at me like fish. Lucas kept looking down at me with a small smile, which I met with my own large one.

                    Lucas drove us to a small diner for breakfast, as he told me he had something planned for the whole day, next time it would be my turn to pick what we did.

                    The breakfast was amazing, of course. Lucas and I talked more about his family and what I knew of mine. His father was coming up the next weekend and he wanted to meet me, I agreed that it were about time for that to happen, though I knew I would likely pee myself out of nervousness.

                     Next, it was about ten o'clock a.m, Lucas drove me to a spot overlooking the country side. After about ten minutes of normal conversation, we started to delve deeper into each other minds. He asked me about my childhood but I had little to say. Eventually we ended up back on the topic of why I stare at myself in the mirror for long periods of time. I shifted uncomfortably in the car seat while Lucas watched me curiously. I stared into his eyes for a few seconds before opening up, something I rarely permitted myself to do.

                      "I am afraid I will never be good enough." I whispered, playing with the hem on my dress. "My father left me when I was only five without any excuse and I am afraid it was my fault." Lucas suddenly took my chin in his hand then stared into my eyes before leaning in, I did not move. Before I knew it, Lucas and I were kissing. Lucas was my first kiss. Quite suddenly, I melted in his hands and gave him my heart without him even noticing. Our kiss got more and more passionate until Lucas's hand was pressing me against him and my hands were tangled in his hair. After a few minutes we pulled apart, both of us breathing heavily. Lucas pecked me on the lips again before driving out our little place. For the rest of the ride, I could not help but smile. That was perfect. I wonder whats next.