Chapter 12

I slowly followed Farkle into his room then sat cross legged on his bed while I watched him pace back and forth. My heart beat kicked up several notches as Farkle kept glancing at me nervously. I sat patiently as I waited for him to calm down. After several minutes Farkle paused in front of me then grabbed my hands, what I hoped was a friendly gesture.

         Farkle looked down at our hands with a frown, "Maya, is there any chance that we would work out? I know you love Lucas-" I froze up, partially because he said I love Lucas, something I was not sure about yet, but mainly because of what Farkle was getting at. Farkle continued "but before I pursue a relationship with Riley, I want to make sure that I cannot be with you." I signed then tightened my hands in Farkle's.

          "Farkle, I am sorry but I am not interested in you that way." I whispered this, not meeting his eyes. I love Farkle and I would never want to hurt him, but I could not lie to him. When I did glance at Farkle's face I was surprised to see him smiling. He nodded.

            "I did not think you were into me, I just want to know that there is absolutely no chance that you could be." My eyes widened then I frowned at him.

             "Farkle, I don't think I could. You are like a brother to me and the only way I could even begin to think of you that way is if Lucas and I split... And even then you would probably still be a brother to me." I slid off the bed then kissed Farkle on his forehead then squeezed his forearm. "I am sorry, Farkle."

                When I reached the door, Farkle whispered, "I will always be looking for my chance. You are worth it to me, but I will also try to love Riley as much as I love you... But that may take time. I love you, Maya." I froze then glanced at Farkle, for the first time in years I was scared. Scared of losing my friend in Farkle and scared that Riley may never be loved as much as she deserves to be by Farkle. I stared at the ground for a few seconds, nodded then left Farkle's room.

                                                                                    Farkle's Room

                                                                                    Farkle's Room

                                                                                     The Farkle