Chapter 18

Maya

              I jumped up and down in my seat as Lucas pulled into the parking lot of a pet shelter. If this had anything to do with me getting a pet, I swore I would freak OUT. Lucas kept glancing at my face while he watched me with a small smile on his face.

              Lucas walked around the car, opening the door for me like the gentleman he is. He took my hand, his smile growing larger as he watched me bounce with excitement. He bent to kiss my cheek, causing me to blush against my better judgement. Lucas led me into the pet shelter, standing in the back. I looked up at him frowning while he smiled down at me.

              "What are we doing here?" I asked, I mean of course I assumed he might be getting me a pet but I did not want to get my hopes up. Besides, who wants to fall in love with an animal then be told you can't have said animal? Lucas chuckled at my expression.

               "What does it look like." Lucas said, grinning at me, "Go pick one." Lucas motioned toward the animals. A grin broke across my face. I flung myself at Lucas, hooking my arms around his neck and he wrapped his arms around my waist. Lucas's face was stunned when I pulled away, I chuckled to myself. I ran up to the cages, looking at every animal. Eventually, I came across a small dog who excitedly started jumping around when I came in sight. I think it was a terrier but I am not not very informed about dog breed names. The small little dog had long white fur with grey strands running through it. I smiled at the little bubbly dog, glancing at Lucas who was watching me with a smile.

                I turned to the lady at the main desk, asking her about the dog. I found out the dog was a four year old shih tzu. Lucas walked over to me, wrapping an arm around my waist, hugging me closer to him. After a large amount of paper work, Lucas and I adopted the small dog. Before Lucas and I left, Lucas took a picture of me holding the dog for the first time.

 Before Lucas and I left, Lucas took a picture of me holding the dog for the first time

           That's when I realized what he was taking a photo with. A freaking Polaroid camera! I pretended to not notice, maybe he always had it. It's not like I ever told him how much I always wanted one and I knew it was selfish to hope it was for me, I mean damn he just got me a dog. Lucas took my hand in his and we walked out of the door of the shelter, the dog wiggling in my arm.

            As I got settled in the car, I started thinking about the name of my new dog. The dog was a boy and had a very spunky personality.

          "Hey, Lucas," I said, grinning as I brushed lovingly through the dogs fur, "What do you think about the name, Goodwin?" Lucas took my hand again, kissing it.

           "I love that name, Maya" Lucas said, pulling out of the parking lot. When we reached the highway, Lucas set something on my lap. It was the Polaroid camera! I looked at Lucas in confusion, he was grinning at me. "This day really is going amazingly", I thought to myself.