Chapter 7

*play if you wish :)

         Lucas drove me home several hours later and it was getting dark. I knew I was not going to get in trouble, I contacted my mother so we were in no hurry. For duration of the day, Lucas and I talked about our relationship, life in general, and our pasts. Usually I would be nervous mentioning my sad life in NY, but with Lucas I felt safe and secure. I had complete faith in him and I believe he had faith in me too, which made everything so much better. Neither of us knew it at the time, but we were falling in love.

          As Lucas was turning onto the street of our neighborhood, I noticed all the lights of my house were turned on and Katy sitting on the steps of our porch. As we drove closer I realized she was crying heavily, her whole body shaking uncontrollably underneath her. I sat up straight immediately and leaded forward, my breath hitching in my throat. Lucas reached out and held my hand, rubbing circles soothingly on my palm. Lucas pulled up too slowly to my house and I jumped out of the car as fast as I could while my mother struggled to stand. When I reached her, Katy pulled me down to sit next to me, wrapping her arms around me kissing my forehead repeatedly. We laid there for a moment until she was able to control her breathing. "Maya, we need to talk." My mother choked at the end of the last word. Katy's eyes were glistening with tears and she had mascara running down her cheeks. I nodded slowly. Lucas came up immediately and helped support my mother so she could get up. Katy met Lucas's curious eyes with a small smile.  Lucas looked at me with a frown as he helped Katy walk to the living room, setting her on the coach. I knew he was asking if he could stay with me through whatever was coming, so I smiled at him reassurance. I doubt I could have handled what was coming well if it were not for Lucas being there.

  Katy hiccuped as she turned her gaze from the fireplace to me, "Maya, Riley is going to be staying here for a while

  Katy hiccuped as she turned her gaze from the fireplace to me, "Maya, Riley is going to be staying here for a while." I would have felt excitement if it were not for the way my mother was looking at me. I froze and I knew I must have looked confused when my mother smiled weakly. Katy sighed and whispered, "Mr. and Mrs. Matthews died in a car accident, Maya." My heart stopped for a second and took off at double time.

       I felt my eyes starting to overflow, "No."I whispered, my voice small and pitiful. I instantly felt my heart break in a million pieces, I hardly registered that Lucas was hugging me. All my memories of Topanga and Cory Matthews flooding my brain, causing more and more tears to fall from my eyes. I started to feel faint when I realized I had temporary stopped breathing. I took in one rattling breath. Poor poor Riley and Auggie.

       "What about Auggie?" I whispered my voice so weak and shaky I could hardly hear it myself.

       Katy sat up straighter and wiped her eyes, "Auggie is going to be staying with his uncle Eric for a while. They thought it was best for him to stay with family. And... well I am Riley's Godmother." My eyebrows rose immediately, didn't they, whoever "they"are, think that Auggie should be with his big sister? I was about to mention this but I knew my mother had no say in the matter. Plus, why the hell had I never heard about my mother being Riley's godmother? I did not want to talk anymore about what was going on. I curled up into Lucas's arms and cried until I fell asleep.

       I was barely aware that someone was carrying me when I awoke. I glanced up and realized Lucas was carrying me to my room. His white shirt was soaked through with my tears.

       "I am sorry." I whispered making Lucas jump. He looked down at me with a small sad smile, his eyes begging me not to break down again.

        "For what?"

         I looked pointedly at his shirt smiling slightly. Lucas opened to door to my room, with me still in him arms. He chuckled, "It's fine Maya, I kind of liked holding you in my arms." If I was in the mood, I would have punched his arm and called him a Huckleberry. Instead I let him lay me on my bed. He sat beside me and brushed my hair back, frowning to himself. I bet I looked like shit really, my eyes were probably swollen and my cheeks blotchy with several shades of red scattered everywhere, but the funny thing was Lucas never looked at me as if I were ugly. He looked at me as if I were beautiful and the light of his day. Instantly, I felt horrible. Here I am, the day that some of the most important people to me died and I was day dreaming about my crush. I was about to voice my opinion on how horrible of a person I was when Lucas suddenly took my face in his hands and stared at me for a few moments before he started leaning in. There was a knock on the door that made Lucas and I jump apart. My mother was standing in the doorway with a mix of amusement and sadness in her facial features.

       "Lucas, your staying the night. Your mother called wondering where you were at and when I told her what happened, she thought it would be a good idea to... support Maya for the next few days." After a few more pointed glances between the two of us, Katy left. Lucas turned towards me smiling and wiggling his eyebrows. I laughed and shoved him aside as I reached for my phone.

       I spent the next few hours on the phone with Riley, trying my best to be a good friend to her. She was a wreck, the poor thing. No one would have ever imagined the perfect Cory and Topanga to have such a short life. Riley was upset, no furious, that she was being taken away from her brother for any period of time after what happened yet she was happy she will be able to see me. I felt horrible for her, it's suppose to be me that all the bad things happened to, never Riley. Evidently Farkle is furious that he will not be able to see Riley for a while. Farkle was going to talk to his father about him moving near Riley. Evidently, Riley and Farkle were getting pretty exclusive. It was about midnight when I got off the phone with her.

      That night I slept wrapped up in Lucas's arms with his chin resting on my head. Right before I slipped into sleep I heard Lucas mumbled something that sounded suspiciously like, "When I first met you, I had no idea you would be this important to me."