Chapter 19

Maya-

            Lucas, Goodwin and I arrived at a small park, alive with cherry blossoms and old walkways. Very few people were at the park, which was not surprising seeing as it was noon on a school day. The only people there was an old couple, walking hand in hand through the trees making me smile instantly. Lucas took my hand as I got out of the car, helping me get Goodwin securely in his dog harness. I was not very experienced with animals, the only pet I ever had was a ferret which I could not bring to Austin with me seeing as he often peed on furniture... I still missed that silly thing.

                                                                                     The Park <3

                                                                                     The Park <3

              After Goodwin was ready, Lucas and I started walking along the old passageway though the trees, Goodwin running ahead of us. Lucas and I talked about his mother and father, whom he loved greatly. His mother, Madelyn, was a bank accountant who I already met a little over three months ago. Madelyn and his father, Matt, got divorced simply because neither were happy. No trauma there. Matt was a college professor who went to every football game of Lucas's, cheering him on from the crowd. 

             When I told Lucas about my mom working as a waitress in a small diner for a majority of my life, Lucas grew silent. I also told him about my father, Kermit, having a second family and now having a job, something that he did not care about doing when he was with my mother and I. Lucas cared enough about me to not laugh at the name Kermit.

              Lucas grabbed my arm, bringing me to a stop. He stared into my confused eyes for a moment before crashing his lips onto mine, hugging me close to him. After a minute, Lucas and I broke apart smiling at each other. Lucas took my hand, continuing to talk to me. We talked about my ferret, grandmother who now lived in a retirement home, old apartment that stunk of ferret pee, Missy, and Cory and Topanga... The last subject brought tears to my eyes. the pain did not seem to dim. Lucas hugged me from the side, stating that he wished he could have met them. I knew they would have loved him, making me fall deeper in love with him, even if I could not tell him yet. I was too scared of rejection.

                 Lucas and I came to a small ancient bench, in the distance was a ice cream stand. "Wait here." Lucas said, kissing my cheek then running off to get the two of us ice cream. I sat down on the bench, secretly grateful for the rest. I was wearing heels after all. I picked up Goodwin, absentmindedly brushing through his thick fur as he sat on my lap.

                 Lucas returned a few minutes later with a grin on his face and a ice cream cone in each hand. He handed me the vanilla one, good choice. Lucas sat next to me, glancing at me several times while we ate our ice cream. If I was being completely honest, it was bothering me. If he had something to say, why not just come out and say it? I rolled my eyes, "What do you need to say Lucas?" Lucas froze when I said that, glancing at my face one more time until he turned his torso in my direction.

                "Do you like me?" Lucas asked me slowly. I frowned, what kind of question was that?

                 "Of course I do, your a good guy." I stated, smiling slightly. He was a really good guy and I was lucky he was interested in me at all.

                    Lucas frowned at himself, he was obviously trying to get to a point.

                  "Maya, I have something to tell you." Lucas said slowly, almost too quietly for me to hear. "I know you may not feel the same, but I have to let this off my chest." "Just spit it out! " I thought to myself. "I love you, Maya. More then life. I know it has only been three months, but I have felt more in these past three months then I have my whole life." I froze, my breath halting in my throat. I felt my heart beat racing but I could not move an inch.

                  "I love you too." I whispered, my lips moving while the rest of me seemed to be unable to. I felt like I had let my guard down and I felt an instinct to put the walls back up... But for some reason it felt amazing to finally be able to let someone, besides Riley, see my weaknesses and flaws without fearing judgement. I loved Lucas.