Chapter 3

I entered the large circular class room and walked up to the teacher writing on the whiteboard. The lunch period has not ended yet so  I was the first student in class. I studied the room quietly for a few seconds before tapping Mrs. Emilstin on her shoulder. She jumped violently then turned to glare at me. With a heavy Russian accent she asked, "What are you doing here, little girl?"

      I replied, "I am sorry if I surprised you. I am Maya Hart, a new student. Class starts in ten minutes and I had nothing better to do with my time, so I went to my next class." If I was being honest, this woman scared me, but I could not let her know that. She wore a long red beaded dress with a red shawl draping over her shoulders. She was in the older range and towered over me. She had long thick black hair with some white streaks and wore way too much makeup.

     Mrs. Emilstin raised a thin brow and asked, "Why are you not eating lunch with the others."

      "I was not hungry."

       Mrs. Emilstin walked past me then twirled around. She was obviously one of those woman who were into living drama day by day. She pointed at me and shouted, "Sing!". She then sank dramatically in the velvet chair behind her, raising a brow once more.

      Seeing as no one else was in the class room with me, I had little reason to resist besides embarrassment. I straightened my shoulders and sang Radioactive by Imagine Dragons. By the time I was done, I swore Mrs. Emilstin's eyebrows disappeared behind her hair line.

     "Well, Maya." Her voiced seemed a bit deeper then before. "I am glad you joined my class, now we may actually have a chance at winning competitions." Mrs. Emilstin looked me up and down then led me to the seating chart. "Maya, you my darling child will be sitting in the front and center."

      Wow, I went from little girl to darling child. At least that meant I would not have too many problems in this class. It did run through my mind though, that at this time tomorrow I will be in art class instead of choir. I hoped that would not disappoint her too much.

     I took my seat in the front and waited for the rest of the class to enter. Not too longer after I got settled, the rest of my classmates  came in and took their assigned seats. All besides one girl. She had light brown hair, thick eyebrows, round eyes, and thin lips. She was fairly pretty but my first impression of the girl was ruined by the thing she said next, "Get out of my seat loser. There is a seat in the back for you."

     As I was about to rip Charlotte's pretty little head off, Mrs. Emilstin intervened. "Charlotte, this is Maya. She is going to be taking your seat. You may move to the available seat in the back." Charlotte's smirk turned into a grimace.

     "Whatever", Charlotte sauntered past me. During this little conversation the whole class went quiet and were now staring at me in interest. I ignored the feeling of eyes on me and focused on the whiteboard.

     By the end of the class, I was assigned to a solo during the concert in a month which I was not very excited for. I did not particularly want to be known for any talent besides drawing and painting.

     The rest of my classes past quickly enough and held little significance until I reached my locker at the end of the school day. I was just minding my own business when some idiot decided to try and snap a picture of my ass. As soon as I heard a camera snap I turned around then smacked the smirking ass in the face, took his phone and erased the picture. As soon as I did that I laid it on the ground and grounded my heel into the screen. The idiot was staring at his phone with his mouth gaping like a fish. I grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and dragged his face inches from mine, "If you dare try this again, I swear on my grandfather's grave that I will cut off your peanut." I kept my voice fierce and my eyes steady as I looked into his soul. What a poor excuse for a soul. After I released him, I watched as he picked up his phone and run off glancing several times back at me. Everyone with in the proximity were staring at me with wide eyes. Yay, this is a great way to make friends.

     As I was about to walk out of the school doors,  principal whateverhisnameis called out my name. I turned slowly towards him, knowing what this was about. "Maya Hart, follow me to my office please."

    I rolled my eyes but followed him regardless of the trouble I knew I was getting into. I entered the small office with weird green carpet and light yellow walls. There was another boy sitting in front of the principals desk who I never noticed before. I sat down next to him in the only available seat. He turned his head in my direction but quickly turned back. I was too absorbed in my own world at the moment to look back at him. In it I was running though what I will tell my mom about this whole getting in trouble on my first day thing. The creaking of the chair in front of me brought me back to the principal's office. The principal was balding, sweaty and overweight. He must have ate one too many McDonald's burgers.

    The man was shaking slightly with every movement he made. "So, Maya Hart... Can't even go one day without getting in trouble, can you?". I rose a brow and settled back in my chair, getting comfortable. "And Lucas Friar you need to learn how to keep your temper in check." The boy named Lucas looked uncomfortable as he said, "I am sorry sir, a boy on the other team tried to hurt my friend."

      "And Maya what was your excuse for threatening a boy and damaging the same boys phone beyond repair?" He forgot to mention I slapped the idiot. I smiled to myself then straightened up and leaned towards the principal, "Well, Mr I have quite a little story for you. This dude came up behind me while I was getting ready to leave and he snapped a picture of my butt. As soon as this came to my knowledge, I did what any other respectable young lady would do. I threatened to cut off his peanut. I, of course, erased the picture and smashed in his camera and maybe a bit of his screen." By the end I was smiling and I heard a light chuckle beside me. I felt the urge to look at the boy, but I refused to be distracted. "Now that is my excuse, maybe I shouldn't have smashed in his phone but frankly I would like to make sure he remembers me when he has to explain to his parents why he needs a new phone."

     "Maya, you did not smash in a bit of the screen. You obliterated it. Now that I know the reason why you threatened that boy you will have to attend detention, which you are in now. Now, Lucas you will have to attention detention for three days this week. You just about broke the boys nose."

       The principal got up slowly then left, leaving the boy named Lucas and I alone

       The principal got up slowly then left, leaving the boy named Lucas and I alone. Lucas turned and looked at me. When I met my gaze I almost wished I hadn't. Almost. He was handsome with his green eyes, messy blond hair, tan skin, and nice eyebrows. I almost chocked up but I also wasn't one to ogle. He smiled at me and stuck his hand out.

        I smiled back and shook his hand. He was the first to talk, "Good job with the whole smashing the phone thing. Not a lot of people have the guts to stick up to the rude people here."

        "Well Huckleberry, good job almost breaking a guys nose. Though, I bet if you wanted to, you could have actually broken his nose. Why did you hold back?" I really was curious. Usually when someone wants to beat a person up, they put their all into it. Lucas obviously was strong enough to break a persons nose, he had a very athletic build.

          "Huckleberry?" He asked raising his eyebrows. "And I did not actually break his nose because I don't want to be violent. But I also do not want people to hurt my friends." He answered honestly, shrugging his shoulders. I stared at him for a few seconds. He intrigued me. He smiled at me staring back.

          "So". Lucas's voice came out sounding rougher, "your new right? I am pretty sure I would have noticed you before today."

           "Yah, I'm new" I answered smiling. I do not think I have smiled for this long since I was last with Riley.