Part Nine

Patrick gets in the car and drives down the street to the nearest drug store. He goes straight to the medicine aisles in the back, looking for some alka seltzer or something to help with nausea. He picks up a box and walks back to the registers. On his way, he passes by the feminine products. At the front of the aisle is the condoms, and he grabs a box, 'you can never be too safe' he thinks to himself.  He continues walking and sees pregnancy tests. He stops for a second.  'No. She couldn't be pregnant. We've always been very adamant about protection. But she got so sick so suddenly. I'll get one just in case. If she doesn't want to take it, she doesn't have to.' He thinks. He picks up a test and walks to the front. He pays for everything and walks back to the car.    

You hear the door unlocking, and you can't find the strength to get up. You're sick to your stomach? And you've thrown up again while Patrick was gone.  He comes into the living room and kneels down next to you.  "How're you feeling, baby?" He asks. Kissing your forehead.  "Not well." You mutter. You're beginning to feel a bit better, and him being here is just making it better.  "I got you some stuff. You can open it whenever you want." He says.  "I'll open it now. I'm feeling a little better." You take the grocery bag and empty the contents onto the sofa. "A pregnancy test? What's this for?" You ask, looking up.  "I got it just in case you wanted to take it. You don't have to. I won't make you." He says, looking at the floor.  "You think...? I mean, we've always used protec- wait. That one time. You didn't have any condoms and... Oh no. I'll be right back," you say, grabbing the box and walking to the bathroom.  You take out the test and read the directions. You follow all the steps, and now all you have to do it wait.

  Patrick is pacing back and forth in the living room.  'I don't know if I'm ready to be a father. I know she's the one that I want as the mother of my children, but I wanted to get married and settle down before kids...'  He sees you walk out of the bedroom, face blank.  You walk straight to him, bury your face in his chest and begin to sob.  He takes the stick from your hand, revealing a small blue Plus Sign.