Part Thirteen

"Daddy it was just a kiss!" You call as your father huffs down the hallway, not saying anything. You turn around and Patrick is still very red. 

"Hey baby. It's going to be okay, I promise. Look, we won't tell them about the baby tonight. Just the engagement. Come on." You take his hand and pull him towards the kitchen. 

"Honey, they're adults. Don't flip your lid." You mom tells you dad. 

She's making your favorite, breakfast for dinner. She's got biscuits in the oven, bacon in a skillet, and she's making eggs to order. 

"I was going to get something out of my truck and I open the door to see this guy with his hands all over my baby girl!" Your dad sounds a bit angry, but hurt as well. 

"Daddy! It was one kiss! His hands weren't even on me. And he's not just some guy, he's my boyfriend! In fact. Ummmm," you trail off. 

"What honey? Is everything okay?" You mom asks. Your dad is just sitting at the table, looking at you with questioning eyes. 

"We're engaged. Patrick asked me to marry him. And I said yes." You look over at Patrick, who's sitting at the table, looking at you. He has a slight smile playing at his lips. 'I love you' be mouths toward you. 

"ENGAGED!? AWWS BABY COME HERE!" Your mom says excitedly as she slides two eggs over easy on to a plate near the stove. She opens her arms and you hug her tight. 

You walk over to your father. "I love you daddy. And I love Patrick. And I want to spend the rest of my life with him. And it would be so much better if you we're okay with it. If you're not, it won't change how I feel about him." You say as your dad stands up. 

He hugs you tightly and whispers in your ear, "I'm glad you're happy." He releases you and walls toward Patrick, who stands up. "Welcome to the family, young man." He puts his hand out and Patrick shakes his hand. 

"Thank you sir." Patrick smiles his biggest smile as you walk to his side and he puts his arm around you. You all sit at the table and dine. Stories are being told of coworkers and daily mistakes that make everyone giggle. Patrick places his hand on your Knee, and you place your hand over his. 'It hasn't been like this in a while.' You think. 'Everyone's so happy; it hasn't been like this since I was maybe sixteen at the least.' You continue to think. 

"So, Patrick, how did you propose?" Your father asks, while taking a bite of his egg. Patrick swallows a bite if the biscuit he had and says, "I took her to Le 

Colonial, and done it there while the waiter was retrieving us wine." He looks at you and smiles. Your father almost spits his drink. "LE COLONIAL?" He questions. Patrick grasps your knee tighter. He clears his throat. "Uh, yes sir." "Now, that's a very expensive place... Isn-" your mother hushes him. "It's fine ma'am." Patrick says, "I have saved up within the first few weeks of us dating, I knew she was the one. Your daughter is just, perfect." He looks at you, and you have tears in your eyes. Out of the corner of your eye you see your father smile. 'Is this real life? My dad... Smiling?' You think. 

After dinner, you help your mom with the dishes while Patrick and your father sit and chat for a while. They talk about how nice it was for you two to come over. They talk about the government's decision makings. They talk about the Chicago Cubs. How you and Patrick met came up in the conversation too, as you overheard them speak. Your mother breaks the silence. "He's a sweet boy." You smile at her, "he's perfect. And I met his mother, father, and brother a couple of days ago and they're all so sweet and perfect too." "It's crazy, you two just met like four months ago and you can already tell he's the one... How?" Your mother questions. "Well, I knew he was going to be mine right as we met." You say while reminiscing.  She smiles at your thinking face. When the dishes were done it was around nine. You walk into the dining room and bend over Patrick’s chair to whisper into his ear; "We better get going, babe." He leans back and you wink. His pupils enlarge. 

"We're gonna get going." You say as you stand up to hug your mom and dad. You exchange 'I love you's' and they both give Patrick a hug too. Everyone is on the front porch now, you wave goodbye and start to walk off, and Patrick notices the lace black thong sticking out from your jeans... He quickly runs behind you to cover you, hoping your dad did not see. He opens the car door and you get in. 

"I just got the man to like me! I don't want him to think I want you to wear that stuff." He says while driving. "But... You do, want me to wear it."  You laugh. "Yeah! But I don't want him to know that!!" He giggles. You notice that he passes his house. "Where are we going?" You ask. "It's a surprise." He says with a grin.