Parade of Tributes

Clove's POV

Why do we need to wear this silly armor costume? I'm dying to get it off me. We're already at the chariot and the parade is about to start.

Cato still ignores me after the conversation we had. This isn't good.

"I'm so sorry about what I said yesterday."

He immediately looked me in the  eye.

"It's okay. Sorry if I'm acting immaturely. I just don't get the point of having allies if we'll end up killing each other in the end. It's like befriending an enemy." said Cato.

"You're right. But it's survival. You kill or you get killed. Sometimes trusting no one is better, sometimes being selfish is necessary."

The chariot starts moving and I can already hear the cheers from the crowd. The feeling is really different. I just watched this part televised before, but now I'm already here.

I waved confidently at the crowd, Cato is doing the same. We're the pride of our district and I won't disappoint them.

But the crowd erupted as the tributes from district 12 entered. They were on flames, literally. Jealousy came across me. They already gained the crowd and probably some sponsors.

"Don't worry, they won't make it. By the looks of it, the guy is gentle and he'll break eventually. The girl may be the crowds favorite since it was the first time district 12 has a volunteer, she's nothing compared to you." Cato whispered to me.

He's right. After all, I'm Clove Kentwell.

President Snow welcomes us and gave a short speech. I wasn't really paying attention to it. I still keep on eyeing the girl from 12.

"We salute your courage and sacrifice .. May the odds be ever in your favor." said President Snow.

It will be.

Finally the parade is done. We're on our way back to our apartment when we came across Marvel and Glimmer.

Glimmer, who's obviously flirting with Cato winks at him. This girl is ruining our plan. Good thing, I don't have knife in my hand because if I do, I'd probably killed her off.

"Looking good Clover!" said Marvel.

I think that caught Cato's attention. He cleared his throat.

"Clove, I'm tired. Can we go now?" Cato said, faking he's worn out.

"Yeah. See you tomorrow guys!" I waved goodbye to Marvel & Glimmer.

Tomorrow's the start of our first training. I can finally show off my skills.