Ill-fated End

Clove kept on following Peeta. She could’ve just kill him instantly but she chose not to. She’s not that heartless after all. They’ve become allies for a while, he was the first one to know about her & Cato and was convinced right away. He’s not tough but there’s definitely a reason why he’s still hanging on. It’s becoming clear to her, he knows that he won’t stand a chance and the only thing he can do is to make sure someone who does will make it. Just like Cato, he’ll make sure Katniss wins. But she won’t let it happen. Never will.

After a long walk, she’s quite getting impatient. Nothing’s gonna happen if she’s not going to do something.

“Alright. Playtime is over.” she thought to herself as she readied her knife and without any hesitation, it flew through the air, hitting a tree next to Peeta. He was startled as he look behind.

“It’s been a while ..” Clove greeted.

~¤~

“Why am I wasting my time here?” Cato muttered. He stayed at the cornucopia, thinking that Peeta and Katniss might went there but nothing .. not even a shadow of them.

‘What if they caught Clove? What if she needs my help? What if .. stop thinking about that. You know Clove, she wont make the same mistakes again.’ Cato was mentally arguing with himself. He finally decided that he’ll look for her but before he can head back to the forest, he caught a glimpse of a familiar figure. He can’t be mistaken, an enemy is approaching.

Katniss had reached the cornucopia, unaware that an enemy is lurking.

“I hope I’m not bothering you.”

Katniss flinched upon hearing his voice.

~¤~

“You look well. I’m doubting if Cato really did something to you, he told me you were badly wounded.” said Clove, faking disappointment.

“Yes, I was badly wounded. Fortunately I was cured in no time. Thanks to Katniss who got something from the feast.” said Peeta.

The smile on Clove’s face disappeared, her lips forming a thin line as she reminisce about what happened during the feast. The moment she thought its over for her.

“You should actually thank me, if it wasn’t because of me you’re probably dead and Katniss too. But due to some circumstances .. both of you are still here.” Clove raised her brow.

“I appreciate that. You, careers, aren’t that heartless. But as you said, due to some circumstances .. your tactics just screwed up. No offense.” he said casually.

Clove's patience is being tested but she keeps herself calm and collected. She won't lose this banter with him. She won't lose to anything.

"Nah, its fine. I did realize my mistake. Actually our mistake. I don't know why we're fulsome about giving people chances. We could've just  mercilessly kill them at instant right? But we do believe that worst is yet to come .. for the second time. We're just giving you enough time to accept that the odds were never in your favor."

"If that's your mindset, you'll definitely going to lose. You're not after survival, it's all just for showing off." Peeta retorted.

The brunette applauded him. "I'm impressed. But I don't really have enough time to play mind games. I still have to kill my enemies. It was a good one though, maybe you can keep up in your next life?"

It all happens so sudden that Peeta wasn't able process what did just happen. Clove was just talking, now, his arm is bleeding.

"You didn't see it coming?" Clove grinned satisfyingly at herself.