Final Memory

Cato's POV

I suddenly felt a pang on my chest, my vision starts getting bleary and my body is feeling weak. All I know is seeing Clove again before I fall on my knees, gasping for air. I can’t perceive what’s going on, all I heard was commotion. Clove is probably finishing what she started. Piercing screams can be heard but silence follows after. In no time, sound of the cannon filled the arena.

"Cato ."

I heard Clove say my name, she was mumbling something but everything starts to get inaudible. I tried to apprehend but I can’t. Breathing starts to get harder. I can feel the final gasp ..

~ ~ ~

Instead of darkness, a faint light appeared before me. I don't know if I'm supposed to go through it, but I just stayed and wait if something is going to happen. I waited for a while, but nothing happened. As I'm about to take a step forward, two blurry figures appeared and slowly it's starting to get clearer. What I see before me was unthinkable, I was so dumbfounded that I just stood there frozen as I saw my 8 year old self. I must be dreaming.

I just stood there watching myself talking with my friend, Dane, back when we first entered the training center when were 8.

"What's your weapon Cato?" I heard Dane asked me after our names were called by the trainer. There I saw myself looking around, uncertain. "I chose sword." I still answered despite of the uncertainty while I asked Dane the same and he just shrugged. But if I were to asked the same question now, sword would still be my answer. It has become my ally, without it I wouldn't become a tribute. I remembered how my mother used to call me her little warrior back when I was younger, it all makes sense to me now. A warrior needed his sword. As the memory is starting get hazy, I heard Dane telling me that he chooses spear. But I'm not looking at him, I caught a glimpse of a brunette girl from afar.

~ ~ ~

Afterwards, the memory disappeared into thin air. Another one come in sight. This time I saw myself approaching the Justice Building, I was 12 and it was my first time at reaping. Normally, other kids from different districts are frightened by the reaping but to us, we're thrilled to be part of it. We have no worries, potential tribute are already determined by the trainers. It takes years of training just to earn that spot and if lucky, you might also earn the title of becoming a Victor.

I still remember Maximian, our district's escort from the Capitol at that time. His pointy silly beige eyebrows had us laughing discreetly. Then it was the time to choose the female tribute. "Carissa Worell." Maximian called up. I silently observed as the girl from the 17-age-group made her way to the platform with a smirk on her face. No one dared to volunteer this year, but it seems like the crowd is pleased with the female tribute. "And for our male tribute .. Charlsie Tatcher." Maximian called up again. The brawny boy from the 18-age-group made his way to the platform as well, then the crowd start cheering. Charlsie was the golden boy or. A potential Victor they say. And the odds was in his favor, he did become a Victor that year. As the memory starts to get hazy again, I saw my 12 year old self smiling at the brunette girl from my age group. She smiled back at me.

~ ~ ~

Transition of another memory takes place again. I was 15 and it was a crucial time. It was our judgement day as the trainers sort out who gets to be chosen as tributes for the next reapings based from our performances. 7 years of blood, sweat and tears. It was the moment of truth, the trainers started calling out names.

"You all did a great job. But we're not a wish granting factory that gives all of you the opportunity of representing our district. Only the best ones will do. Let's see who makes it .." said Xanthor, one of our trainer. At that time I was closing my eyes and I keep on saying may the odds be ever in your favor in my head.

"Clarence Milhaud"
"Kesey Darrow"
"Cato Hadley"

I was dumbfounded. I can't believe it and until now it still feels the same. My friend Dane made it as well, he earned a good spot at becoming a peacekeeper. As the memory becomes hazy, I saw myself hurriedly running from the training center to tell my parents, especially my callous father that his son is going to become a tribute. Due to my excitement, I bumped into someone - her. "Congratulations!" she told me. "You too." I said. But before I can hear her response, the memory disappeared.

~ ~ ~

I was waiting for another memory to show up, but nothing. It was all silent. Am I going to die now? or am I going to wake up from this surreal dream?

"I volunteer!" I bellowed.
I still remember that moment like it was just yesterday. Giving pride to my district and granting what my father wants is all in my hands. Memory of him telling me that he's proud of me flashes, that was the first time he told me that and probably the last. Memory of Dane trying so hard not to cry as he bids good bye to me flashes. Memories of my time in the Capitol flashes. Memories of me being a vicious tribute flashes. And memory of Clove smiling at me before I felt an excruciating pain flashes.

I heard Clove sobbing hard now.

And just like that,
the memory faded away.

~ ~ ~

They say, before a person dies, the greatest moments of his life flashes before his eyes. I’ve already seen mine and those are the exact moments that I wanted to see and remember. I couldn’t have been more happier than having Clove at my side, for the last time. Years of training didn’t go to waste and I didn’t regret anything. Everything’s clear now, I’ve done what I need to do - to make sure Clove makes it back home. I may become just another memory to her. But one thing is certain, I’ll be waiting on the other side.

And in another life it’ll always be you, Clove.

Despite of the numbness, I felt her warm lips press into mine.

“I love you.”

Was the last thing that I heard before everything stopped.

It was my last memory of her.

Before it all turned into nothingness.

A/n
Surprise! Surprise! After having a long writer's block, I'm back! My apologies for making some of you wait for an update 😢 Thanking those who still continues to read my Clato fanfic. ❤ I know some of you may be confused, this is Cato's POV about the flashing back of his memories before he, you know. Die. This is not the last chapter. I'll update as soon as I can (got loads of school stuff to do, hope you understand)

💓