Anticipation

Clove's POV

In few minutes, I'll be on the arena. Facing off  23 other tributes and even my death. Stop Clove! You'll become a Victor in few days.

I was about to enter the elevator when my mentor Enobaria called me.

"You had done a great job Clove. This may sound selfish but we're trying for possibilities. It occurs to me that having 2 victors may be impossible but we still haven't tried anything. But this year is different. It was the first time our district had a volunteer for the sake of the other one, not because of pity but because of love."

It doesn't really sound good to me.

"No one has ever done this Clove. If you gain everyone's attention and pity, it would be a great help to you and Cato. You'll have lots of sponsors and this might caught the attention of the Capitol even from the gamemaker and President Snow himself. Two vicious tributes who were lovers. Interesting right."

My point of volunteering is to bring pride to my district. I want everyone to know me as a Victor. I don't want people's pity, there's no reason for it. But this whole thing is ruining my image. They'll know me as the Victor from district 2 who's truly, madly, deeply, crazy in love with her district partner. And it's not what I wanted. I've trained for 10 years and the outcome is disappointing.

"I've already done my part before the game. This isn't going accordingly to what I've been planning before. Though it's disappointing in my part, I'll do what I can do in the arena. But when it comes to killing .. I'll do whatever I want. I have strategies."

"Fine. I just hope to see both of you again." said Enobaria.

"Indeed. See you soon." I said confidently as I entered the elevator.

A thought came across my mind as I walked out in the elevator.

'This might be the last time I'll see everything  here. I might not make it back. I might die in the arena'

Geez Clove! What were you thinking?

*bump*

"Ow! What was that?"

"Are you okay? Sorry about that." said Marvel as he helped me stood up.

"Oh. It's fine. I was just preoccupied with my own thoughts."

"Nervous?"

"Me? Nah! Why would I be? I mean, we're careers. I feel nothing." I said calmly, it's true. Random thoughts just keep on bugging me.

"Typical career would say." he grinned.

"I'm just telling the truth. We've trained for this for the rest of our lives. Why would we feel nervous? or anything associating to fear? We should feel honored representing our district. You're the pride of district 1 and I'm the pride of district 2. It would sound great if the Victor comes from our district." I responded.

"It does make sense but I wasn't ready. Supposedly, I'll volunteer for the next reaping but I was picked and nobody volunteered. Glimmer was picked too, she doesn't even care about the game." Marvel admited freely.

Truth has been told. Most of them wasn't ready. It has become my advantage.

Then the elevator burst open. A familiar blonde guy walked out.

He walked past Marvel and ignore  his greeting. He just smiled at me and he walked ahead us.

"I didn't get it. Does Cato hate me?" asked Marvel in a low voice.

"He seemed to hate everyone but no. He's just ..  making an impression." I said, assuring Marvel.

"Oh, I see." he smiled.

It's a lie. Cato almost hate everyone. He hated Marvel mostly now because of me.

Then we were signaled. I finally saw it ..

The hovercraft which will lead us to the arena is already waiting for us. I can clearly hear my heartbeat as I was approaching the hovercraft.

lub dub, lub dub ..

Here we go.

A/n hey what's up, it's been a while 🎶 sorry if the update took longer than expected (I don't really think it was expected tho), I was a busy college kid for the past few days and I'll be facing my final exams next week .. wish me luck. May the odds be ever in my favor and of course, also to you who still continues to read this story.  ❤