Moment of Sincerity

They were on their way out the forest when Marvel noticed something. He abruptly stopped Cato and Clove who's behind him and hushed them.

"It's Peeta." he mouthed to them.

They crept and started following Peeta.

"Where do you think he's going?" whispered Marvel.

"How am I supposed to know?" answered Cato.

"Probably going to meet Katniss. Don't you two get it? He's helping her." said Clove.

"I'm going to kill him!" Cato was about to stood up when Clove pulled him down.

"Are you nuts? He's on his way to look for her and it's our only chance to finally capture her. Then you can kill them both." said Clove.

"Fine. As you say so."

They continued following Peeta until nightfall.

Marvel stopped.

"This is ridiculous. He's leading us to nothing. All we do is follow him and we wasted all our time. We could've caught other tributes you know!" Marvel complained.

Clove and Cato ignored him and they kept on focusing their attention to Peeta.

"We can still kill Katniss anyway without Peeta! Don't tell me you're afraid of her." Marvel protested.

"Why would I be afraid of her? She's just a pathetic girl who volunteered for her sister. She's a pesky threat whom the Capitol adores. But she's no victor material. They just praised her because of her courage." Clove uttered.

Cato looks at her with amusement.

"You two are ridiculous!" Marvel sighed.

"Okay. Just give us more time. But if Peeta fails to bring us to her then we'll be back to our killing spree." said Cato.

"I don't know why did I even agreed to this. I could've killed both of you already. Make my district proud of me."

"But you chose not to. What's stopping you Marvel?" asked Clove.

"I'm weak." Marvel said softly.

Clove was astonished upon hearing what he had said.

"I wasn't born for this. I'm no victor material. It's such a shame that district 1 isn't ready this year. I depend too much with our mentors that I can't really think for myself. I needed allies. If I killed both of you, I'd still be an embarrassment. I'll lose."

"Why are you telling me all about that?"

"I'm reassuring you that I'm still an ally even if I'm already mad at what you and Cato are doing right now. Even if I wanted to pierce my spear in your chests."

In that moment Clove wanted to embrace Marvel for his truthful confession. Cato was still in awe upon hearing their conversation.

"Though the feelings were not mutual. I can tell all of us are afraid. Or somewhat afraid. It's nothing to be ashamed of. We're humans after all." said Cato.

'Of course I'm afraid. But I won't let you know. I'm quite weak but I won't show you. I'm not completely heartless. I'm a human after all. But I'm here to win.' Clove thought to herself.

"I think we lose Peeta." said Marvel.

A/n I conclude that it's not really a good idea to update the story at midnight. I'm still wide awake but I kinda messed up the story (✖╭╮✖)