Unexpected Ally

Clove's POV

"What a pleasant surprise. Is there anything you need? Perhaps a weapon? We're very eager to give you one." Cato said sarcastically to the guy who appeared before us.

Marvel and Glimmer snickered.

Okay. Can someone kill him now?

"I'm here to help you find Katniss. I know her traps very well. I want to be your ally." the blonde guy had finally spoken. I didn't really get to know him back in the training center because he was overshadowed by his district partner .. wait, he's betraying her? this is interesting.

"Did I hear that correctly? You want to be our ally?" asked Cato.

"I'm very certain."

"What's your name again? Sorry, I wasn't really paying attention back in the training center since we're all going to kill each other in the end, so what's the point of knowing names right?" asked Marvel. I must say he did make a point. We're still enemies in the end.

"Peeta. Peeta Mellark." he answered right away.

"Nice." Glimmer complimented.

"So, Peeta what's your motif about wanting to be our ally and help us look for Katniss?" I asked him. It's really suspicious and interesting at the same time. A tribute from a poor district betraying his own partner.

"She's weak. She's not really tough or anything that other thinks about her. Just like us, she's doing everything to win."

He's right. It may sound desperate but everyone will do everything just to stay alive. They're afraid of dying. In my case, I'm not afraid of anything and I'm here to win.

"You said, 'she's doing everything to win'. What if you're doing the same or we're doing the same? Can you trust us? Can we really trust you?" asked Cato.

Stupid. Face it, we're enemies. We're just betraying each other. What's so hard to understand about that? I don't know if Cato's just manipulating anything and is pretending to be dumb but it's really annoying.

"Let's just say we're allies for now. I'll give my 100% trust to all of you and I'll do everything just to help you." said Peeta firmly.

"So, what can you say?" Cato asked us.

"I say we give him a chance. He can be useful." said Marvel.

"I agree with Marvel. I think he can be a great help as he said so." said Glimmer.

Silence.

I don't trust him or anyone either. I can sense he's up to something just like me. Is it jealousy? He wants to prove something to her that he's not just a weak guy from her district. Or is it protection? He's just using us for survival. He knows the careers are the tough ones. Or perhaps, love? He's just manipulating all of us in believing that he's going to help us but instead he's doing everything to protect Katniss. No one knows right. We're just the same. Liars. But he's nothing compared to me.

"Clove?"

"I don't have any contradictions but I just want to clarify things up. If he did something wrong or messes with us. I'll make sure he'll regret it. Permanently. If you know what I mean." I said calmly showing off my knife.

"I understand." said Peeta.

"Welcome to the career pack!" said Marvel blithely. Marvel could be the next Ceasar Flickerman.

We continued our tracks and look for a shelter. Marvel and Peeta seemed to get along easily.

--

We had found our temporary shelter just for tonight.

Glimmer is fast asleep. Maybe if no one's looking around, I would've slit her throat already. I think Peeta is fast asleep too. While me, Cato and Marvel is gathered around the campfire. It's so peaceful. You wouldn't even wonder what's going on. You wouldn't even think that there are kids trying to kill each other. It's like having a camping. Maybe just for tonight.

"I can really feel my eyes shutting off and my body is exhausted. See you tomorrow. Hopefully still  intact. Don't let forest bug bite you. It's really dangerous and fatal. Just be careful. Okay?" said Marvel seriously as he stood up. He's sounding like a mother.

Then we laughed. I don't know but even if he's serious, he's just funny. I can't take him seriously.

"You really never fail to amaze me." said Cato abruptly.

"What do you mean?"

"What you said to Peeta. About how you're going to make him regret permanently." Cato smiled.

I laughed lightly.

"I just want to scare him off. Just a little bit."

"You'll do great without me. I can guarantee that. You're tough. People won't underestimate you." his mood suddenly change. He's being a drama king again.

"Don't say that." I said unhappy.

I'm being a fake drama queen again.

"I'm here for you til the end. I'm so sorry I wasn't able to express how much I love you back then. Maybe this won't happen." he said filled with guilt.

"No. It's not your fault. Don't blame yourself. Maybe there's a reason why this has to happen."

The reason why I would win the game. The idea of cross-star lovers isn't too cliche in the capitol and this might be a great help to earn sympathy from the sponsors. Enobaria's quite clever. Cato's weakness is my strength.

"It's still not too late. Maybe we can convince them that we can both make it. But if they don't. I don't want to lose you. I .. I can be with you. We can be together through death." I said. I remembered this from our literature class. Who would've thought that I can use something poetic like this. The story is really tragic. Unlikely, won't happen to me.

"I don't want to lose you as well but I wanted to protect you as long as I can. If it's meant to happen then let it be."

Why are we both sounding poetic? I sound ridiculous. Is this what love really does to someone?

"I love you." he whispered to me. He slowly leaned closer and nooooooo is he going to kiss me?!

A/n I think this chapter isn't really good since I finished this part at 1:25 am & I'm so sleepy. 😴