Last Tributes

Cato got up carefully not to wake Clove who’s still sleeping soundly. All he can do is gaze at her, knowing that tomorrow might never be the same again. It might be his last time seeing her face .. seeing her, the girl he loves.

‘I wish someone could wake me from this terrible dream. I still want to wake up next to the girl I love for the rest of my life but it’s not going to happen. Not anymore.’ Cato thought to himself, staring at Clove.

“Oh, you’re up already.” said Clove blearily. He smiled. “We still have leftovers from last night.”

They eat silently. Both are in their deep thoughts, possibly thinking about what’s going to happen subsequently or planning their own strategies. Clove surely has something on her mind. They started gearing up afterwards. Clove’s jacket is already equipped with array of knives. Cato is prompt as well, he took one of Marvel’s spear with him. They’ll be on their separate ways. They’ll be on their own.

“This is it, years of training will be paid off.” said Cato as he leaned closer to her.

“Show them who Cato Hadley really is.” Clove smiled at him

“You’ll do great.” he told her as he gave her a tight embrace. “I don’t want to let go but I have to.” he said as they break apart.

She gave him a gentle kiss on his cheek. “No one knows what is going to happen, we both might lose but we’re going to be together.” she told him.

“As much as I wanted it to happen .. no. I won’t let it happen. I’m not going to be selfish. But I just want you to know that whatever happens, I love you .. will always do. Even in my next life .. “ he wasn’t able to finish what he’s going to say as she interrupted him by placing her lips on his.

“Stop being so dramatic .. I love you too. I hope you felt it.” she told him.

“I did.”

Now, they’re on their separate ways to look for their opponents. And for the last time, Cato gazed at the brunette until she disappeared from his sight. A tear rolled down on his cheek.

“I’ll see you again.” he muttered.

~¤~

Clove’s POV

This is really happening. One stupid mistake and I’ll end up dead. I can’t believe I still have to lie to him, I guess this shall pass til the end. I hate myself for saying those things. I don’t feel bad about lying but those words are cringeworthy to me. I’ve told him ‘I love you’ countless times and I .. kiss him which I don’t really like. But it was all worth it, I was still here though I almost face my death. Plus, I was able to convince people that I was madly in love with Cato .. I wasn’t such an awful actress after all.

I honestly don't know where to start, I've been wandering for a while with no direction. I don't even know where to find Katniss and Peeta right now. What a dumb move Clove - sighs. This is going to be a long day. But everything's going to end today, I'm certain about that.

Cato. I'm wondering what he's up to now. What if he's following me? No. No, he better not. He said, he'll keep his promise. I know he's not lying, maybe that's what I thought. Why am I bothering myself thinking about nonsense? Shrug it off Clove. Focus. You need to fo ..

Trap?

Trap.

Katniss Everdeen's trap.

I'm certain that this is her trap, Peeta showed me one before. I guess I had an early luck. She must be here nearby.

It's time to face your death girl on fire.

~¤~

Cato made his way to the cornucopia.

'I should've just followed her.'  he thought to himself. But he knows it will just make Clove mad. He's going to keep his promise.

Meanwhile, Clove continually searches for any trace of Katniss and Peeta. She doesn't care where it's taking her as long as it leads to them. If it happens to be both of them, will she be able to take them down? She's going to need Cato's help. But no, she's stubborn. She won't be needing any of his help. She's on her own now. She's going to prove herself for the last time.

She abruptly stopped at her tracks as she heard faint noises nearby. She immediately hid behind a tree. She can't be mistaken, it was Katniss. A grin formed in her face.

"I'll look for the two of them. Wait for me at the cornucopia." she heard Katniss uttered.

"I'll do it myself, I insist. They just need a distraction." Peeta had spoken.

"Are you sure?" Katniss asked as the blonde boy nodded.

"It's settled then. I'll wait at the cornucopia." Katniss made her way to the cornucopia. Peeta went on his way. Clove was undecided for a moment if she's going to follow Katniss or Peeta.

~¤~

Clove's POV

I could've just throw my knives at both of them while they're not looking but as I said, one stupid mistake and I'll end up dead. Katniss is undeniably good at bows and arrows.

I'll go after Peeta, he's the inferior threat. I can easily kill him. Somehow, I was hoping Cato decides to go to the cornucopia. He'll definitely kill her for me.

After all, he'll make sure I win.