Second Chance

*Clove's POV *

Seeing Katniss defenseless and pitiful is priceless. I almost killed the girl whom everyone adores.I almost stole her spotlight. Almost. But I ended up with tears overflowing from my eyes. My body still aches and shiver from the incident. I don't fear Thresh nor death. But I embarrassed myself in front of the spectators. I almost gave them a good show, probably some in the Capitol are already enjoying but to their dismay I wasn't able to give the ending that they wanted. My district is probably disappointed at me. Plus, Cato came into the rescue making him more superior. I was like a damsel in distress and knight in shining armor came to rescue me. It wasn't supposed to look like that.

"It's okay. He's dead now." Cato said repeatedly as he comforts me. I was still silently crying in his arms, making me feel worse. I don't need his sympathy. It makes me look weak and delicate. "I'll be fine." I mumbled as I loosen his tight embrace from me. "I know. I'm just glad you're fine. I won't forgive myself if something bad happens to you. I should've never let you handle Katniss alone." said Cato.

"But I was able to handle it well! I almost killed her!" I said, tears trickle as I raised my voice. Cato was quite stunned as he looks at me. "Sorry. I was just frustrated about what happened. I just lose my chance of killing her and impressing everyone."

"I can see that." said Cato as he wiped the tears from my eyes. "But you didn't lose the game. You're still here. You can still prove yourself. Everyone will be proud. You've impressed me right from the start." he smiles but I can see the sadness in his eyes.

I managed to smile despite of my almost death encounter. Strange but Cato was able to make me feel better contrary to what I felt before. But if I were him, I wouldn't waste my time helping anyone especially when that person is going to kill you in the end. Did he even regret doing anything for me? He could've just fled away and started killing anyone. Does it even occur to him that he's strong and have a great chance of winning? Does he even think about becoming a Victor? Does he even think about going back home to his family? I'm mad that his love for me has made him selfless. His love for me made him weak. He's slowly becoming a shipwreck, accepting that he'll never make it. He could've chosen someone who loves him back. I wanted to feel sorry for him but I can't. He created his own catastrophe.

But he had given me a second chance. This time I'll make sure the victory is mine.

A/n Hey! Apologies for the short (filler) update that took so long ╯﹏╰ I was really busy in school and more stuffs.