Downfall of Alliance

Both were startled by the voice they heard.

"Surprised to see me? How's my two allies? Ah, you're doing fine Cato. Just a small gash, lucky you. I can see that you're doing fine as well Clove, you're so lucky that Cato was there to save you. How unfortunate for me, if I was only able to kill Cato at that moment then no one can save you either. Winning would be easy for me then." Marvel sighed in disappointment.

"Making a pathetic excuse just because you failed to kill Cato. Not a surprise for someone who points out other people's flaw just to feel superior. You were almost killed by Katniss, I almost killed her. You can say we're even then."

"You never fail to impress me. The moment I saw you at the training center, I knew you'll be one of my tough competitor. You seemed to act like you don't care at all or just act like a usual career but I had seen your ardent desire to win. I guess you can tell that we're the same." Marvel and Clove seemed to play mind games at each other while Cato was astounded listening to them.

"How about you Cato? I can't see anything in your eyes, all I can see is a man killing off others without a choice .. what made you volunteer?  Ah, I see. You wanted to bring pride to your district because they trusted you. They are rooting for you. Is that all? " Marvel added. But before Cato can respond, Clove interrupted.

"I know what you're doing and it's not working. Playing mind games huh? Is that all you can do? You tried so hard to deceive everyone around you but it's poorly executed. You made a fool of yourself. You think you can trick us but you can't, you're weak, I can tell that. There's no way you'll win this." the grin from Marvel's face disappeared. Clove had won the conversation. Again.

One against two. Tributes who used to be allies are against each other now. It'll end that way.

"I'll take on this. I want this to be a fair one. I want retaliation." said Cato as he readied his sword. "All yours then." Clove nodded with a smirk on her face. She immediately left the two with an assurance that Cato is going to kill him.

~¤~

"What has gotten into your mind? Are you sure you don't need her help? I mean it's already an advantage to you, me against the two of you then you wanted fight me alone. Still got that districts 2's pride huh?"

Cato just smiled, "I pity you." he said to him. "Pardon?" asked Marvel. "You think you can manipulate us but you end up fooling yourself instead. Trying to act funny at first then acting faintly, guess your efforts weren't enough. Have you even though of a more strategic plan?"

Marvel sighed. "I did what I can do, see I'm still here. But if there's really a fool between the two of us, it's definitely you. You don't think I know what's happening between you and Clove? And I don't know if you're pretending to be blind, can't you see it? She wanted to win so bad, I do too. There are two types of tributes, those who wanted to become a victor and those who are in a suicide mission because they got no choice, and you, my former ally is an example of the second one. A fool because of love. You wasted your chance to win, one of the best from your district, you're a career, you've got the advantage but you chose to set that all aside because of her. Well, she may love you but winning is what she really wants here. Such a waste, you could've just stayed back in your district."

But Cato is seemed to be unaffected. "Done whining?" he asked in a disinterested tone. The look on Marvel's face is priceless. He was defeated verbally. "Well, if you're done. Let's finish this already." said Cato as he grabbed his sword. Marvel did the same with spear. Using their weapons they started battling with each other. Some tributes underestimated spear as a weapon but Marvel proves it isn't. He is not only good with throwing spear but he's also skilled with maneuvering it.

Both struggled with each others brute forces. No one is letting each other take advantage. No matter how Cato tried to strike a fatal hit on him, it won't work as Marvel keeps on blocking it though he was already having wounds.

"Are we really going to kill each other? Or are we just playing like 5 year olds who's fond with violence?" Marvel asked despite having a deadly combat. He's trying to loosen the tension and changing the atmosphere. Maybe part of his strategy.

"If Clove was here, I'm probably dead by now. What a lousy decision. Want a fair game huh? And retaliation? Didn't know you like cliches Cato." Marvel jested, Cato on the other hand wasn't affected at all. He dropped his sword on the ground. Marvel was perplexed, "what are you tryi --" he wasn't able to finish what he's going to say when Cato tackled him.

Both of them were on the ground. Cato started to punch him in the face multiple times. Marvel's face start to get swollen until his nose is bleeding. "I've seen petrified faces before, but yours was definitely a remarkable one. A satisfying one when you're about to defeat your opponent." Cato muttered.

"So you're going to kill me bare-handed?" Marvel asked him. But as soon as Cato stopped punching, Marvel erupted in laughter which flabbergasted Cato. He thinks Marvel is going nuts. His laughter became a wicked one as time passes. He wont stop even if he's coughing blood. Cato is starting to get irritated by his sudden reaction, he grabbed Marvel by the collar. "You think it's funny? Well, let's see who's going to get the last laugh."

"No ..  none .. of .. us." Marvel stammered. He's becoming weak but what took Cato by surprise, Marvel was able to headbutt him so hard that his nose started to bleed as well. Marvel immediately stood up and took his spear, pointing at Cato who's still on the ground.

"Win or lose, no one gets to have the last laugh. It's always President Snow. But what we're aiming here is to impress everyone right? They are watching us right now. Our district is probably cheering for us. But sadly, one of us has to go .. dead." said Marvel as he slowly approached Cato who stayed still on the ground. Without any word, he's about to put an end on Cato's life but a knife came whizzing through the air, Marvel was distracted.

"Just in time." Cato smirked, gripping his sword tightly and stabbed him. He fall on his knees, Clove appeared and she threw her knife, hitting  Marvel at the back. He winced in pain and the bleeding worsened.

"Remember this, don't feel betrayed. Here in the game an enemy is an enemy no matter what happens. Alliances are temporary, and here we are, killing each other one by one." said Clove,  she was pleased with what she's seeing right now. "Oh, the knife at your back. One of my favorite, consider it as a gift from me. Your real enemy."

~¤~

It didn't take so long until Marvel's canon goes off.

"We gave them a good show, didn't we?" asked Cato.

"We did. The look on his face was priceless just like Katniss' when I almost killed her. I can't wait to see her again and I'll make sure, this time, she'll be gone."

' I'll make sure her flames will die,  she'll burned out, her dreams will turn into ashes. I, Clove Kentwell, will become the new Victor. '

A/n it's me again, sorry for some 'idk what's happening here' with the update and some incorrect grammar (english is not my first language). Plus, my mind is mixed up for our incoming exams so I can't really think on what to do here. Apologies.