Breakdown then pick yourself Back up

I opted to walk around the hall of the mansion, rather than staying in my room. I felt like a sitting duck waiting for Joseph to come along.

The halls were strangely busy. There were lots of people rushing around the halls arms full of things that were covered so I couldn't see them. No one acknowledged me they just went about their business. I thought about stopping someone to ask what was going on when I saw Joseph coming my way talking with one of his men.

I swore under my breath and quickly turned hurrying away from him. My breathing was heavy from anticipation. Wondering if the person that I had been avoiding had seen me.

I ducked quickly into a more empty hallway and leaned on the wall. I closed my eyes to catch my breath. I shouldn't be nervous. Not of him I kept telling saying, willing myself to not think about last night again. But my mind has always been a little rebel. The memories of how he hadn't wanted me there last night played in my mind and I wanted to slide down the wall and cry once again. I had feelings for him and he played with me.

"You're avoiding me." I yelped loudly when I heard his deep voice right next to my right ear. My eyes flew open and I jumped away from him. I studied him for a moment. He looked completely composed. Like he'd gotten 10 hours of sleep the night before and hadn't spared me a second thought. Meanwhile I slept maybe 4 hours and had been thinking about him nonstop. He just wouldn't leave my mind, no matter what I thought about.

"Joseph." I nodded my head stiffly.

"See what I mean." He huffed and ran a hand through his blonde hair. I held my breath. Damn. This never used to happen. "What happened to you last night? Why were you so rude?" He asked calmly leaning against the wall.

All thoughts of him being the sexiest man alive left my head, and all that was left was that he was an ass. I shook my head and started waking away from him, already ready to be done with this conversation.

"Don't you turn your back to me when I'm speaking to you." He grabbed my arm roughly, forcing me to face him again. "I have been going easy on you. Ordering all of my men not to lay a finger on you, purely because you're young. Do not think that I can't revoke that order if you disobey me." He spoke with anger that I had never seen before.

"Are you threatening me?" I whispered. He glared at me and gripped my arm tighter. I winced at the pressure on my wrist. I stared at the ground not wanting to look into his furious green eyes.

"Yes." He hissed. I frowned and struggled to escape his iron grip. He growled and shoved me away from him storming off in the opposite direction.

I stood frozen in my spot, rubbing my red wrist. The red was already starting to turn blue and you could see the shapes of his fingers. A constant reminder that he didn't care about me the way I thought I did about him, and that he wouldn't hesitate to hurt me if I stepped out of line.

******

That night at dinner I stayed silent. Ruben tried to start up conversation with me, but I just shrugged him off. I could feel Joseph's gaze on me. It was making me feel sick. The butterflies that I used to get around him was replaced with fear.

The bruise on my wrist was prominent. I tried to hide it, but it was on my left hand and I unfortunately was left handed. Once Ruben saw it he was mad to say the least.

He grabbed my arm in his beefy hand and pulled my long sleeved shirt up. "Who did this to you?!" He looked up at me, his bushy eyebrows furrowed together in anger. I shook my head and pulled my arm away, pulling the sleeve back down. "WHO DID IT JESSICA!" He slammed his fist down on the table and the whole thing shook. Everyone looked at him and ultimately causing them to look at me, because I was Jessica.