Awkward encounters

The next morning was just as hectic as the day before, if not more so. People were rushing around, others were shouting orders. To say the least it was chaotic.

"Ruben!" I yelled when I spotted him hurrying down the hall. "Ruben wait!" I ran after him, my longer than average legs getting me there quick. "What's wrong with you?" I asked once I caught up with him.

He just glared at me in response. I threw my hands up. He sighed and rolled his big brown eyes. "You were a jerk last night and I'm mad." I nodded.

"Ok yea I will admit I was not at my finest hour last night, and I am sorry I was rude to you." I apologized.

He nodded and smiled. He rested his empty arm around my shoulders. "Good. Now that that's taken care of, what are you going to wear to the party tomorrow night?" He asked excited.

I frowned. "What party?"

"What party! What do you mean what party? The party we've been preparing for the last couple of days. Duh! Where have you been." He explained looking at me like I was the biggest idiot around. Which could actually be debated.

"What? Why are we having a party? Why did no one tell me about it?" He shrugged.

"Boss is hosting the prime minister of England. Their making some sort of deal. But bigger than that I heard he's bringing his sons." He subconsciously licked his lips.

I looked at him with wide eyes and slid out from underneath his arms. I stopped in front of him. I stared at him with wide eyes until he understood what he just said.

"I-uh you know I-i meant for you of course." He was beat red, and the more he stumbled over his words the redder he got.

"Oh c'mon! Just admit it already. I pretty much already knew." I smirked and he sighed and shook his head and started walking past me pushing me out of the way.

I groaned. "Hey?! What's wrong." He shook again and pulled me into the nearest room that was usually unoccupied. "Why are you so worked up about this it's not that big of a deal."

"Yes it is!!" He said a bit louder than normal. I raised my eyebrows. "You don't understand. I'm gay Jessica. I'm ot. Allowed. To. Be. gay. Joseph dosent employ gay people he thinks that their week or whatever. His father was extremely homophobic, and he's just like him. I can't let anyone find out. I can't loose this job. It's all I got. These people here are all I got. They're my family." He said defeated.

I stayed silent for a moment. Not really understanding, or knowing how to sympathize with him. "You know that I won't ever tell anyone. Not if you don't want me to. I didn't realize it was such a big deal. If I had I wouldn't have kept bugging you about it."

He stared at me and then smiled slightly. "It does feel kind of good to talk to someone about it." He laughed a little. I smiled too and laughed with him.

"Let's go big guy. We have a party to help set up." I hooked my arm through his and pulled him along with me. I helped him carry some stuff down to a part of the mansion I had never been to.

"This is it." He said as we opened the doors to reveal a huge room that could easily fit hundreds of people. It was decorated beautifully. Tapestries hung from the walls and white curtains were hung along the windows. The ceiling had beautiful pictures hung and carved into it. The room over all took my breath away. It looked like something you would see in the Middle Ages.

Ruben chuckled beside me. "Beautiful ain't it. People love to come to Joseph's parties just because of this room. He takes a lot of pride in it and he takes the job of making sure everything looks prefect upon himself." I nodded in surprise and followed Ruben.