Invitation Only

I felt like hyperventilating

I felt like hyperventilating. I stood outside the chapel doors by myself. I would walk down the aisle alone. I didn't feel right having anyone else escort me down the aisle so soon after my father died. I clasped my hands tightly together to stop myself from biting my finger nails, a habit I thought I had overcome but apparently in extreme situations old habits come out to play. 

There were several guards just in the hall I was standing in. Joseph isn't very keen about the idea of being in a church again after what happened with the whole bomb and kidnapping thing at my fathers funeral. He only agreed to come back at my request on the condition that he could have as many of his men stationed wherever he wanted. I accepted his term not feeling right about being married anywhere else. 

"Are you ready?" The guy standing at the door asked me. I nodded stiffly. This was it. He pulled the door open. I almost choked as I tried to suck in air. It felt like there were millions of eyes all trained on me. Looking at me, judging me. I trained my eyes on Joseph as I walked probably too quickly down the aisle. It was a miracle I didn't fall, I was practically running. He was the only person that mattered. I only needed to care about what he was thinking. That kept me sane until I reached his side. He met me at the bottom of the stairs and I breathed a sigh of relief when he wrapped an arm around me. 

We climbed the stairs together

We climbed the stairs together. He kept his arm around me while I held my dress up to avoid tripping. There were only 3 steps to ascend to reach the priest. We faced each other and his eyes sparkled more than any diamond I had ever seen. More than the huge engagement ring he'd given me awhile back. 

The priest started to speak. Going through all the ceremonial words he had to say before the "I do's" came. Soon enough that time came. He went first, I watched his lips move to say I do then curl up into the biggest smile. It was my turn now. I couldn't say no now that I'd gotten this far. Actually I couldn't say no even I wanted to. 

I opened my mouth to say my part when for the second time the doors dramatically opened. Only this time it wasn't me on the other side, it was the three men that haunted my dreams flanked by their men. 

"You're not serious." Joseph mumbled to himself. "I hate churches." He squeezed my hands that were held in his and then let them go. "Stay here Jessica. If something happens I want you to get out of here alright." He said looking into my eyes.