Amends

"Welcome everybody." Joseph said as he got about half way down the staircase. "Thank you for coming to celebrate the new contract we have signed with President Jefferson. I do hope that you enjoy yourselves." We made eye contact halfway through his speech. He didn't smile once.

By the time we had stepped off the last stair he was surrounded by tens of women all seeking for the attention of the most notorious eligible bachelor in the country. In my opinion the world. He gave them all small nods and continued on his way with each of them trailing behind him. I made my way towards him which proved to be more difficult than I had thought it would be. It seemed everybody in the room was begging for the chance to hold a conversation with him. 

"Joseph!" I sort of raised my voice just enough to be heard above the rest. His head immediately snapped to the sound recognizing it as mine. "Could we talk for a moment? Please." Thankfully it was a bit quieter now that I held all the attention of the people around me. I was desperate to be in his arms again and seeing all these other women hanging on him was not helping at all. 

He didn't say anything just nodded. He grabbed my hand and lead me from the crowded ball room. We didn't stop until we were all the way in his room. As soon as the door was closed behind him I wrapped my arms around him. There was no hesitation on his part. As soon as I hugged him he engulfed my in his arms. He buried his face in my hair and kissed me once on the neck. 

"I missed seeing you

"I missed seeing you. Holding you. More than you will ever understand." He murmured his head still hidden. 

"Joseph. I am so sorry. For everything. For pushing you away, for blaming you, just everything. I need you in my life. I can't function knowing that you wont be there for me to talk to when things happen. It makes things not worth doing." I said while I brushed my fingers through his hair. 

He sighed and pulled me tighter to his body. "I feel the same little one. I never want to fight with you ever again. That was torture. I can't even sleep knowing that you might be hurting because of something that I did or said." 

I pulled away from his arms and stood an arms length away. "I love you Joseph Copland." A brilliant smile lit up his face. 

"And I love you." A look of determination took a hold of his face. "Marry me." My eyes widened. 

"What." I whispered looking him in the eyes to make sure that he meant what he was saying. 

"Jessica I love you. I can't imagine a life that you're not in. You are my life now. I swear I will protect you, and love you, and care for you. You will never want for anything as long as I live." I stayed silent processing his request. It was so sudden. "Say yes baby." He took my hands and leaned his forehead down to rest against mine. 

I nodded and closed my eyes. I did love him. His words were true for me too. Thinking about living a life without him was like trying to live without air. It just wasn't even possible. "Ok." I whispered.