Wait What?

Joseph

The men that surrounded me were smart. Experts actually. They had all made battle plans like this before. If they worked for the government they would all be highly ranked generals. They moved around maps and made phone calls and added new weapons to the lists. We were going to battle, and the fight would win the war.

"We go in to the south! Romano and his guys left to the the west toward coast. If they thought that we would be coming they would be guarding their eastern boarders because that's what's closest to us. So we come in through the south and catch them by surprise." I added my input, rapidly getting bored of their banter.

"The south? It would take much longer to get into position there. We would have to leave hours sooner than we had planned and we still don't have all of our supplies." One the super smart guys objected.

"The element of surprise is the only thing that we have going for us Cole." I argued. "Going through all their men to get their faster would be the stupidest thing we could possibly do. If we come from the south the chances that we pull this off are significantly higher and you all know it." I leaned back in my chair. The room was quiet for a moment while they contemplated my theory.

"Alright I agree." Slowly one by one they all gave their consent to the new plan.

"Great." I clapped my hands together and stood from behind my desk. "Matthew I need you to call and get our shipment here faster. Within the hour. Do whatever you have to do. We leave in 2 hours. Get everyone ready." I said, concluding the 2 hour long meeting.

The guys quickly shuffled out of the room one by one, each having a task to complete.

In the silence of my office I could hear the clock tick. 8:00. Today was Thursday. Today i was going to get her back, and nothing was going to stop me. For the next 3 hours he would make sure that everything was 100 percent crystal clear in the select few men's minds he had chosen to accompany him in the deadly mission they would be undertaking that night. Not a second would be wasted.

****

I sat stony faced while my guys around me fought to keep from throwing up all over the small plane we were stuffed in. The aircraft rocked and jolted around violently, throwing its passengers around like a roller coaster. Lucky for me I don't get motion sickness, however most of the rest of the guys weren't so lucky.

"We'll touch down in about 45 minutes boys. It might be a bit of a rocky landing. We're going down in a field, which is a lot different than a nice paved airstrip." The pilot jerked the plane about as he bounced around laughing. I glared in my head at Matthias for hiring such a dim-witt for such an important job. 'I'll get the best' he said. 'No one can fly like him' he said. The best my ass.

Those were of the longest 40 minutes I'd ever been through. I sat twiddling my thumbs unable to busy myself with anything. As for the final 5 minutes, I take back when I said I didn't get motion sick because when the plane landed and came to a complete stop I was there along with every other guy throwing up everything I'd eaten in the last 8 hours. We helped our tech center set up all their computers in the plane, and checked to make sure all of our earpieces worked.

Once that was over and taken care of we began our journey. It was just over 6 miles to the compound where Romano lived, but more importantly where Jessica was. We started off in a run, but as 2 o'clock drew closer and closer we slowed our run to a jog. The guys back at the plane guided us through our ears talking us through which way to go. Each of our black shirts were soaked with sweat. The sweltering heat of Southern California was hitting us hard. But we drove on stopping every so often for a short water break.