More Than Just Leverage

Things just didn't seem to be going my way. Right after things would seem to be getting to normal something unexpectedly bad would happen. Like now. The pilot had sent someone to tell us that we would be landing soon. I mentally jumped for joy. In my current state jumping was not an option. 

Being on this plane was making me feel more sick than I already did. The pain pills I had been given were making my stomach toss and turn uneasily. Where had the pills come from anyways? Who stitched the bullet hole closed? Of course I hadn't thought to ask any of these questions. 

"Joseph!" I shook him awake. His eyes opened and then closed again. I rolled my eyes. It was practically pitch black in here. The only thing lighting the place up was a couple of flash lights. "C'mon it's not even bright." I mocked slightly when he stuffed his face into his elbow. "I sighed and propped myself up on my forearms. "We're about to land." 

He groaned and pushed himself up into a sitting position. "That was the shortest flight I've ever had." He tried to rub the sleep out of his eyes. 

"We're descending now" a man came in from the cockpit and informed us. I knew. I could feel my stomach lurching in the most uncomfortable way. I groaned and flopped back down on the hard wooden board that I was laying on. Bad idea. My back, and shoulders throbbed in protest. 

"Oh I hate planes." Now it was my turn to bury my head in my hands in discomfort. Held perfectly still until the wheels touched the runway below us. My body was projected upwards, then slammed back down on the rough wood. I should've grabbed onto something, after all there were no seat belts holding me in place like there normally would have been "Ahh." I hissed and gripped at the skin above my injured leg. I was on pain killers, but that didn't stop the sharp pain from shooting down to the tips of my toes. 

No one noticed my discomfort as they were busy putting all of their belongings they had brought away. Joseph had disappeared, I assumed to the cockpit. 

"It looks like we might have some company boys. I want everyone ready when that door opens." He strode over to a box and pulled 2 dangerous looking handguns from it. 

What? Company? By the way everyone was behaving all of the sudden I was guessing that way not good news. 

I kept my eyes on Joseph. He quickly tucked the guns into his pants. For the first time he actually looked like a mob boss to me. He turned and quickly made his way over to me. 

"Jessica, when those doors open I want you to stay right here OK? I don't know what's going to be on the other side and I need you to be safe. It might not even be a big deal, but if it is I want you out of the way." I nodded and kept my face calm. 

"Don't worry about me. I can take care of myself." I wanted to be strong but my sleeping habits were taking their toll. 

"Honey, it's not that I don't believe in you, but you just had surgery on your leg, were kidnapped by psychos that seem to have some weird obsession with keeping you in their possession. I won't let anything be left to chance. Stay here and I'm going to have some guys stay and protect you as well. Just in case something goes wrong. Like I said, I'm not even sure that the guys outside are looking for trouble." His genuine concern about the situation made me a little nervous. I knew that he was just trying to make me feel better by saying that there might not be trouble. He wouldn't be this caught up on it if he didn't believe there was something serious going on. 

"OK. I'll stay here." 

"Thank you." He brushed my cheek bone with his thumb and stood up. "Trevor, Balthosar, I want the 2 of you to stay back and make sure that nothing happens to her. If it does, it's going to be the 2 of you that pay for it." I knew he was being deadly serious, but his dramatic way of getting things done made me roll my eyes.