On The Run

Joseph

The sound of my heart thudding inside my chest seemed to echo off the wall of the cement room I was locked in. The only thing that separated my most trusted men and I were thinly spaced metal bars. I literally felt like I was in prison for the crimes I'd committed. We'd sat in silence for the last couple of hours. No one daring to even whisper a word fearing the rage that was boiling just below my cool surface.

The door of the box we were encaged in opened for moment then slammed closed again. Just enough time for an enraged Cameron to slip through and stomp his way to me. I didn't give him the respect of looking at him. Instead I kept my eyes trained forward on one of the many metal bars that separated us.

He just stood there for a moment staring at me with his accusing eyes. "What have you done Joseph?" He whispered. "What have you done with her?!" His teenage voice continued getting louder and louder. For the first time in hours my face displayed emotion. My eyes shot up in surprise. Her. Could it be that he was taking about my Jessica. That she had escaped. "Where is she!" He burst and grabbed ahold of the metal bars separating us.

My mind swirled as hope spread through me, warming my entire body. My muscles unclenched from their frozen state. I rose to my feet and approached him. "I don't know Cameron." His hands were wrapped around the bars. When I was close enough I whipped my hand out and grabbed him by the shirt collar. When he realized what was happening he frantically tried to scramble backwards but it was too late. I pulled forward hard and his head came in contact with the metal. The sound echoed around the room. With my one hand holding him up I reached with my other hand and fished around in his pockets.

A wicked grin spread across my face and I felt the key card that locked the door. I pulled it out of his jeans pocket and let Cameron fall to the floor in a heap, blood trickling out of a gouge on his head. I slid the card in front of the electronic lock and held it there until the door beeped and opened slightly. I strolled out and stepped over my unconscious cousin's body.

I used the same card to unlock the cell next to mine and the rest of my crew was set free.

"Alright let's get out of here now. They wouldn't be expecting us to try escaping this early." I spoke confidently as to inspire courage in my exhausted team.

"But boss won't they be on even more alert with Jessica gone?" One of the strongest fellows on the team piped in.

"If anything it was have the people here spread more thin. We have to be really careful of the guys they have outside looking for her outside the compound. I know they won't just let her escape. We have to find her first."

At first they didn't seem too keen about the whole going out and looking for Jessica idea but I know that I wasn't about to leave without her, and they weren't about to leave without me. Pride swelled in my heart at the display of their loyalty.

"Right then. Let's go." I opened the door just wide enough for me to stick my head out and see if anyone was there. I stuck my head out and came face to face with a guard. "Hello there." I said casually as he panicked and grabbed a walkie-talkie off of his belt. Before he could say anything into it I shoved the door wide open smashing a guy I hadn't noticed standing there. I proceeded to snatch the walkie-talkie out of his hand. The young guy looked at me fearfully with hands held out in front of him.

"Please you can go. I won't tell anyone." I pleaded scampering backwards.

"Well how generous of you." Me men filed out of the room behind me into the dimly lit corridor. "But I have somewhere very important to be. And I can't have you running off and telling someone we've gotten out." With that I clocked him in the side of the head and he fell instantly to the floor.