You Can Have Me

Joseph

I paced the ground in front of our plane waiting for Trevor to return with Jessica. Back and forth. She was in some train station 3 hours away. The wait was making my carefully crafted mask of calmness crack and crumble into my hands.

"Sir maybe you should sit down?" On of the people surrounding me suggested laying a hand on my shoulder to stop me from pacing. I glared at him.

"If they don't come back with her do you realize what that means?" I looked around and they all looked at me like a crazed man. Which I probably was."It means this was all for nothing. It means we have to come back and try again. How many of exciting does that sound?" I snapped. I glanced down at the hand still resting on my shoulder, then back up to the owner.

"Right." He coughed and quickly pulled his hand down to his side. His cheeks flushed. "Sorry bout that." A smile threatened to make an appearance but I suppressed it.

We stood in silence together for several moments before we could hear the soft engine of a car coming towards us in the distance.

"Cover yourselves. It might not be them." I said while we listened to the purr come closer and closer. Everyone ducked down into the cover of the tall grass and we waited. Until finally I could see the shiny black SUV's speeding along toward us.

I breathed a short lived sight of relief. The cars stopped. Out of one 4 of my guys jumped out, and the others doors stayed closed. That is until it flew open so fast I thought the thing might fly off it's hinges. My breath caught in my throat as I saw the state of the interior of the car. Even from a distance I could see that blood was everywhere. On the floors, the seats the door. Everywhere. And a lot of it.

The driver, Adam jumped out and ran to the aid of the 2 in the back. Dread filled me because I knew one of them was Jessica. It was a mans body that stepped out of the SUV next. At this point I was running. Taking me to the one person that had made me feel peace since my parents died.

She was lying on her back. One arm hanging off the seat grazing the ground. Her skin was ghostly pale, the contrast of the dark red blood coating her leg was something you'd see if a horror movie. The cloth that was tied tightly around her thigh seemed to have stopped the bleeding for now but as soon as it was removed it would begin to bleed again.

"What happened!" I yelled as I climbed into the back of the car to make sure she was breathing.

"When we got to the station, Romano and his men were already there. They had all the exits covered. We had to make a run for it. A lot of people died. She was shot in the leg when we were almost to the cars." He paused for a moment and watched me as I tended to her. "She is alive sir."

I nodded stiffly. She can't wait til we get back home. We'll have to stop somewhere along the way." I carefully lifted her head into my arms and slid my arm underneath the back of her knees. My arm under her legs was dangerously close to the bullet hole in her thigh. I pulled my arm back out, not willing to risk tearing open the wound further.

"Bring me a board. We can't carry her like this."

"Yes sir." Trevor sprinted off towards the small plane to find anything fitting the description of what we needed. A few minutes later he came back carrying a large piece of plywood. We lifted her onto it as a team and then carried her to the plane. On the way I yelled for the Pilot to get the engines going.

Just as we stepped into the plane the plane the engines roared to life, overpowering any other sound. Jessica's ears were dead to the sound. She didn't even bat an eye when they came on. The platform slowly lifted up until the bay was closed and sealed tight.