Never Cute

Chapter 26 - Never cute

LOGAN HUNT

"Paris. Back to where it started." She said with a smile as she dropped down on the bed where he was already lying on his back on the left side of the bed.

"For now, all I want to do is take a long nap." He yawned

"But I want to go out. Have fun." She jumped up and down on the bed like a kid.

"It was one long flight, sugar."

She pouted. He sat up, slipped his hand around her neck and kissed her.

" I don't know how you succeed in making your point-"she said as they parted from the kiss"- but one thing is for sure. We are definitely going out. So catch up with your sleep, because later you won't get much rest. "

"That means I can sleep for now?"

"Yeah. I'll just call room service to get something to eat." She started to get up when he caught her wrist and tugged

"But I cannot sleep without my teddy bear."

"You're such a kid." She laughed.

Before he knew it, Logan was asleep with Lexi in his arms and a smile of contentment on his lips.

********

The first thing Logan noticed when he woke up was the warm body beside him.

He felt relaxed. How good it would feel if he could wake up everyday like this.

Lexi's head rested on his chest. Her arm wrapped around his waist. Her legs entwined with his.

He could smell peaches. Maybe it was the shampoo or the soap she used at his hotel, hours ago.

With a low moan she raised her head, surveying her surroundings. When her gaze landed on his, she smiled and rested her chin on the back of her hand that had slid to his chest right where her head was.

"Good morning sugar." He mumbled.

"I doubt it. It's probably night."

"Maybe."He shrugged.

"You hungry?" She asked as she yawned.

"Famished." He replied.

She looked so cute, Her hair all tousled. She rubbed her eyes with the other hand. She looked like a sleepy kitten.

"What are you grinning at?" She asked.

"You look so cute."

She wrinkled her nose. "Kittens and puppies are cute. That adjective is solely for them. Now there are other things you could use. But no, not cute. Never cute." She shook her head

"But what's wrong with cute?"

"Animals are cute. Small, hairy, mewing animals are cute. Do I, in anyway, look like an animal?"

"Well, human beings do come under the category of animals right?" He mocked.

He caressed her cheek with the back of his finger. "And see, you're small compared to me. You have hair. And you do mew like a cat when we're-"

"Okay stop" She cut him and he laughed.

"Fine. I'll work with the word cute, just this once."

"So cute." He tapped his finger on her nose.

"You know what? You can sleep on the floor next time. I am not letting you get on this bed ever again." She said as she got up and was out of the bed before he could catch her.

"Wait! What?" Before he could say something she sprinted towards the bathroom her laugh echoing even after she closed the door.

******

Logan stood on the balcony and pressed two fingers to his temple. He had switched off his cell and would keep it that way for a few days.

Or else Lexi would just find a reason to escape all this. After so many months of trying, she had finally let her guard down. And he intended to keep her with him.

But nothing was going his way.

Once they were back home, she'd be back to ignoring him. And his company wasn't faring well. He had done his level best. But he couldn't find any solution any more.

Investors were questioning him. Hell, his dad had even talked to Syd's father about going forward with the merger.

Sean stood beside him. But even he had pointed out that nothing was going to work unless he could get a million dollar contract.

Marrying Sydney was the only way now.

He promised himself to carry a bottle of his Glenlivet or Macallan the next time. Because a bottle or two of scotch was all he needed

"Hey." He heard her soft voice.

He didn't hear her footsteps. Or maybe he was too entangled in his thoughts that he hadn't noticed her at all. She stood beside him, her hip rested against the railing, arms crossed across her chest.

"What happened?"

He didn't bother to say anything just shook his head. How could he tell her that he was considering marrying Sydney

Those problem were his and his alone. He didn't need to drag her in that. He would find a way.

"Logan." She said in a firm voice. "What happened?"

"Nothing that concerns you."

"Just because it doesn't, doesn't mean that you can't tell me."

"Lexi-"

"No Logan. This is what you don't understand. You think you can get me to spill everything while you stand here and keep your secrets all to yourself. Get it through your thick skull that even though I try to get away from you, you're the only one I trust the most."

Logan was taken aback by that.

"I-I don't know what to say."

She sighed. With a shake of her head she turned to leave.

And he couldn't have that.

Something told him that once he let her go from here, she'd never come back.

He tugged on her wrist.

And gathered her in his arms as she stumbled towards him.

"Just.. please." He muttered.

Her arms wound around his neck.

"Logan-" she started but he cut her before she could say anything.

"Alexis, please. Just trust me to handle it myself."

"That's what you don't understand. You don't have to do it all by yourself."

"Please." He pleaded.

She didn't respond. But even though she was in his arms, it seemed that he had put up a wall between them that would be hard to break down.

********

Vote and comment.

- Nami