The Announcement

Chapter 28- The Announcement.

LOGAN HUNT

"What is wrong with you?" A voice boomed. He winced.

"Go the fuck away." he yelled and winced again. Damn. It was one massive headache.

"Language." Another voice chided

It took him some time to process and recognise the voices.

"Ah. Hell."

"Language." His mother chided again

"Stay away from that bar." He tried to say to his father who approached the bar like a man on mission but it came out as a croak as he pushed himself up from the couch

Last night when he had returned home he had walked straight to his mini bar.

Didn't matter what he was drinking.  He just needed to drink. And tried to forget the hurt he had seen in her eyes last night. Key word being tried.

They were happy for almost five days.  Even if the argument they had on the first day put up a wall between them, they had been happy as they did not talk about it for the rest of the time together.

Night before the last night, when Lexi had fallen asleep, he had slipped from the bed, taking his cell with him.

He switched it on. And regretted it

There was an endless list of calls. Sean had called seven times. Two calls from Dan. One call from Dave.

Only the family had called.

Myra must've handled all of the business calls.

As he scrolled downwards, one name repeated more than ten times.

Sydney's.

His inbox was filled with her messages.

Where are you?

Answer my call!

Damn it Logan.

I am freaking out.

And so on.

He was going to call her, when he received a new text.

He opened it. And his world fell apart.

I cannot possibly marry you. It's too early. I am not ready for this.

What the hell was she talking about?

He called Sean.

"Where the hell are you?" His brother all but growled.

"I am... away. What happened?"

"Everything's gone. The board had a meeting. Without you. Without me. They called father. Said they didn't trust the company in our hands ."

"What are they gonna do? That's my godsamn company. Ours. It's our company. They won't kick me out."

"There won't be a company if this goes on, Logan. Dad came here and took a look at the accounts." His brother suddenly went quiet.

"I have a feeling that whatever you're going to say next, will be bad."

"It's worse. Dad's taking the matters in his own hands." With a deep sigh his brother continued. "He is going to announce the wedding in a few days. You're getting married in three weeks." There was a bitter tone to his brother's voice.

"Three weeks is too early. Shit, man."

"'Shit' doesn't even begins to cover it."

"What are we going to do, Sean?"

"Just... just take care of her."

Logan frowned. What did his brother mean by that? He wanted to ask him but it could wait.

The only thing that was going through his head was that he was getting married in three weeks.

Holy shit. What was he going to tell Lexi?

He had failed everybody.

"Sean."

"Yeah." His brother let out a frustrated sigh.

"I am sorry, brother."

"What the fuck are you apologizing for?"

"I-" Fuck. This was hard. "I let you down. You and Dan..." he raked a hand through his hair. "I am sorry. I'd return your money. I'll think of someway."

"You think this is about money." His brother snapped. "You shithead. This is about something that's mine. Something that's ours. Dad shouldn't have poked his head. If only he would've waited until this project..." he trailed off. "Logan. This isn't about money okay. This company is my baby too. Just like it's yours. And we know you did your level best. We also know that you poured all your savings and your trust fund into it. Don't ypu dare be sorry for doing your best. You hear me, bud?"

For a moment it felt like he was the younger one getting chastised by his older brother.

"You still there?"

"Yeah. Listen. Give me two more days. I have some business here. I'll wrap it up and be home as soon as possible."

"I would've said that I got you covered. But nothing's in my hands anymore. Take care of yourself."

With that Sean had hung up.

The next day he spent the whole day convincing the board of directors.

No luck there.

He had found it easier to get drunk rather than face Lexi and tell her about the goddamn wedding.

He had Myra book two tickets for the first flight home.

When he thought that she must've been asleep, he stumbled in the suite only to find her dressed and waiting for him.

She was angry. He didn't run to her side. Let her be angry. Because he couldn't bring himself to tell her that he was getting married to someone else.

He couldn't even sleep that night. Nor the two nights after that.  So he had been up till 6 in the morning drinking whatever he could get his hands once he was home.

He had fallen asleep somehow.

And his parents decided to drop by without any notice. Not that he didn't want his parents here.

He looked out the window. Noght had fallen. Damn. He had been asleep the whole day.

"Get your ass off that couch. And get ready."

"Why?"

"Everybody's coming." His dad said in a duh tone as if that made sense.

"Why?"

"Because I told them ."

"Why?"

"Because I have arranged a party."

"Why?"

"For God's sake. Stop repeating that word like some parrot and get dressed. And please, shave." his dad grumbled.

Frustrated, Logan raked a hand through his hair. He turned to his mother

"What's he talking about, mom?"

"The announcement." His mother smiled

Logan's entire body stiffened.

"Of your marriage."

********

Votes and comment

-Nami