3| Salvatore

FLASHBACK (CONTINUED)

    "I'm Isadora Salvatore."

    He knit his eyebrows, "I have never heard of a Salvatore before."

    "We're one of the Founding Families in Mystic Falls."

    "Interesting, are you going back?"

    "It is very far away, and I do not know the way. Plus, I am expected to be in the French Quarter  by the time Emily comes."

    "I have lived on this Earth for hundreds of years. I know how to drive a carriage, and I'm headed to New Orleans."

    "Okay, it sounds like you won over the heart of a vampire

    "Okay, it sounds like you won over the heart of a vampire. What is it with you and vampires?"

    "At the time, I did not know it, but then he revealed his feelings for me in the months to come. I was just grateful he saved me and brought me to safety."

    "I'm grateful you didn't finish your story. I was beginning to doze off. That isn't safe for someone in the driver's seat." Both of his hands were steady on the steering wheel. His eyes were focused on the road.

    "I never learned how to drive. There were cars in my prison world, but I never wanted to learn. I was too scared."

    "Too scared? You were in contact with a handful of vampires, and you're scared of an object with wheels and an engine?"

    "There was always an article about car crashes in the newspapers that they sent to me. The thought of unexpectedly dying scares me. It's a tragedy to die without saying goodbye to those you loved and cherished."

    "Dying is always unexpected. Everything in life is unexpected. How can you be afraid of the unexpected if you're like over 147 years old? You aren't a good liar Isadora." We stopped at the house, he left the car, taking the groceries along with him.

    He was right. I was not afraid that life was unpredictable. In fact, I loved the thrill of not knowing what was to come. That is what kept me alive for all those years in the prison world.