21| New Friends

"Here let me see your schedule," Caden said

    "Here let me see your schedule," Caden said. So far the first person I have ever met at school was in my homeroom, AP English. I handed him my schedule as I scanned the room. Everyone was loud, talking to one another about their summer vacation before the teacher arrived. No one gave me strange looks for being new like I thought they would, or perhaps they have not even noticed me.

    "Wow, we have the same classes all year long. Looks like we're going to be spending a lot of time together Isadora," he said.  For twelfth grade, I took English, Calculus, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology, History and Physical Education.

    "That's such a unique and nice name," the girl with the fiery auburn hair turned around to face us. Caden was on my left and this girl was right in front of me. It was weird how she was eavesdropping on our conversation.

    "Thanks," I said.

    "You're new aren't you? My name's Alice, I was the new girl two years ago."

    "Nice to meet you," I extended my hand.

    She smiled and shook my hand. "Wow you're very well mannered and polite but no one shakes each other's hands in school. Stick with me and I can get you through the school year."

    "Thanks for the tip," I said. The first quarter hasn't even passed yet and I'm already messing things up.

    "How come no one shook my hand?" Caden asked looking down at his hands.

"Because you're Caden," Alice said. The tone in her voice suggested it was sarcasm, nevertheless, Alice is very outgoing and she speaks her mind. "So do you play any sports?"

    "The one with the ball," I said. I could not remember the name, it was on the tip of my tongue.

    She giggled, "there's a lot of sports involving balls."

    "The one with the black and white ball," I said. I didn't play any sports but I needed to seem interested in something.

    "Oh soccer," Caden answered. I nodded. Strike three of the day. First, it was bumping into Caden, then it was shaking Alice's hand, now this, what if I forget what a hashtag means?

    "You know, when I was new I didn't fit in with anybody, I was so insecure with myself. When you're new and insecure, you should join the cheerleading squad. That's what I did," she said.

    "I'm not insecure."

    "It's a joke Isadora, I'm trying to make you less nervous." Alice gave me a small smile then turned around when the bell rang. Maybe she's not so bad after all.

 Maybe she's not so bad after all