12| Birthday

Kai didn't blink

    Kai didn't blink. He was staring at the ground, motionless.

    "What? Is the little weak siphoner afraid?" I challenged. "You were a heartless killer twenty years ago. You can be a heartless killer now." I stepped forward, walking closer to him.

    "I'm not going to kill you. If you want to die, why don't you do it yourself?"

    I took his right hand and placed it on my jawline. "Come on Kai; snap my neck. I'm sure you missed the thrill of killing." I looked him in the eyes. His sad eyes were filled with chaos, yet they were more ravishing than the sunset. If only he wasn't like this.

    "Sure, I love the feeling of killing people," he paused. "But I will kill anyone but you."

    "So why did you burn the journal if you insist you do not want to hurt me?"

    "Because I thought you weren't crazy enough to take up my offer. I thought you would rather live than read the journal," he admitted.

    "Let me get this straight; you burned the journal because I was willing to die?" I asked. He didn't want to be alone. He didn't want to lose me.

    "I don't want to fucking hurt you! I'm just bad for you; you're too good for me. I don't want to change you; I don't want to hurt you."

    "I am not fragile. You can hurt me, I can take the pain, you don't have to worry about me."

    He looked to the side. His hands were still in contact with my face. "You're already in so much pain; I'm not going to add to that. I usually love inflicting pain on others, but not you."

    "Kai, are you incapable of understanding that I am not weak?"

    "I never said you were, you're anything but," he explained. "You're strong. It must hurt to carry the pain you feel, the burden of having to live for 164 years. Isadora, all I'm saying is that I don't want to be added to your list of misery."

    "We don't need to be like this. We don't need to be constantly fighting. We're on the same side," I said. If we were going to be stuck here forever, I do not want to spend it bickering with Kai.

    "Yeah, we're magically on the same side after you killed me the other day."

    "Okay well if you want to get even, kill me," I said, waiting for his response. "Exactly, no matter how much you threaten me, you never go through with actually murdering me. Not all hope is lost for you Kai."