26| Motives

After receiving the text from Stefan to meet him at Rousseau's, I knew I was in trouble

    After receiving the text from Stefan to meet him at Rousseau's, I knew I was in trouble. I approached him and sat down on the bar stool.

    "Now, are you going to tell me the real reason as to why we're here?" Stefan asked after he gulped down his drink. I practiced before I arrived here.

    "I knew the witch you were searching for is Davina Claire. I wanted to ask her if there was a way we can bring someone back from the other side even if it collapsed," I lied. I knew this was the only thing Stefan would believe. I was here because I was still caught up with Kol. He couldn't know about Kai.

    "What did she say?"

    "I couldn't find her, but I left my number with her boyfriend, Kaleb."

    "Isadora, if you told me your true intentions I would have gone with you," he said. "There's no need to lie. We're on the same side, and I understand that you still love him."

    "Thank you brother," I gave him a small smile as I buried my face in the menu hoping he won't see me celebrating the successful lie I just told.

    Waking up in New Orleans made me feel like I was a teenager again, the Isadora from the 1800s. I left our hotel room early in the morning to explore the French Quarter. I left Stefan a note on the nightstand. I walked on the streets as the people started emerging from the stores and apartments. I wondered if any of them recognized me. I wondered who were vampires and witches. I stopped at a fruit stand on the corner of the street, eyeing the ripe sunset coloured peaches on display.

    "How much per pound?" I asked the frail old woman behind the fruit stand who was too busy drinking her cup of tea to realize me.

    "A dollar and thirty-eight," she took a sip.

    I nodded and grabbed a plastic bag as I started filling it with peaches. I tried grabbing a peach from the far left corner, but when I leaned in it started rolling to the left, towards the ground. The distracted lady glared at me. Suddenly, a hand swooped in and grabbed it before it fell to the ground.

    Kaleb grinned, holding the peach in his hand, "be careful next time love."

    I gave him a small smile. Nevertheless, I found his use of the word 'love' was inappropriate, especially when he was dating Davina. "Are you following me?"