9| Lovesick

I sat on the steps of our house, waiting until mother arrived from spending time with her friends

    I sat on the steps of our house, waiting until mother arrived from spending time with her friends. She promised to be home by three in the afternoon, but an hour has passed the time mother said she would come home.

    "Isadora, what are you doing alone outside?" Damon asked from behind me. "Shouldn't you be playing with the other nine-year-olds in our town?" He asked. I was planning to play a couple of games of hide-and-seek with my friends, but I wanted to wait for our mother.

    "I am waiting for mother; she told me she would teach me how to prepare steamed vegetables after her rendezvous with her friends."

    Damon let out a small chuckle, "but you are only nine." He sat down beside me, as we both watched the birds fly. Crows always scared me. I felt like their beak would nip at my face as their claws tore me apart. It was an ominous creature.

    "And you are only eighteen. Does father know when she will be home?" I asked.

    "I do not know, and I would ask him, but he left at noon in a rush."

    "Did he tell you why?"

    "No, but you can ask him right now," Damon said. I looked straight ahead to see him walking towards us; grief loomed over his face. I ran to hug him.

   "Is mother with you?" I asked, looking up at him.

   "Lillian told me to keep it from you Isadora, but she has been very sick for the past few weeks. She later found out that she indeed had consumption. I sent her away today."

    "No," I whispered. "No!" I yelled.

    "Okay, so you don't want to be freed?" Kai asked. There was a raspy tone to his voice, something that wasn't there before. It wasn't just his voice either; his shoes were all muddy.

    I looked at my surroundings; I was still in the dungeon. I thought I was back home in 1858. "I just had a bad dream."

    He unlocked the shackles around my wrists, "what was it about?"

    "It was the day my mother was sent away by my father. I never saw her again after that," I said.

    "I guess we all have demons that haunt us from time to time," he said.

    "Are you sick?" I asked, pressing the back of my hand on his forehead and neck. "You're hot."

    "Took you long enough to realize," he said as we walked upstairs. The room I was kept in was in the basement of the large house.

    "I am not kidding. You are sick."

    "It's just a cold. I went somewhere this morning, and it was raining. I couldn't find shelter, and I was locked out of the car."