Prologue

"Zaynie! Can we please go to the community center?! My teacher said that today they're gonna be doing The PenPal Project! Please Zayn?" Safaa begged her older brother.

"I have no idea what that is, Saf. But, yeah. We can go. Get your shoes on and we'll go right now." Zayn said, not able to keep the smile off of his face at his little sisters excitement. Their family had always been one to help other out, but Safaa was, by far, the most enthusiastic. It was adorable how she wanted to do everything for everyone. Even if it was as little giving a homeless man the two dollars she had in her pocket on the way to the park. That was a big shock to Zayn the first time it'd happened. Safaa loved icecream and she was going to buy some when the truck came around, but when she'd seen that man sitting against the brick wall of the church sleeping, she'd woken him up and said, "Sir. This is my icecream money. But you need it more than I do. I'm sorry about waking you up, but someone migh have stolen it if I'd just sat ti there. Anyways, here you go and have a good day." before laying the two dollars in his hand and walking off, the biggest smile gracing her chubby face.

Safaas urge to help those in need only got stronger after the accidents and she was constantly asking Zayn to help her get involved in something new. And of course Zayn could never say no to her. It's not that he wouldn't, he physically couldn't. Safaa was all Zayn had and he was all she had, he neede her to be happy. He couldn't lose anyone else. So he could never bring himself to tell Safaa no.

Zayn was standing there, thinking about how his life had ended up here, being the legal guardian of a 10 year old at only the age of 18, no family or anyone to help him out. Safaa came into the room skipping and tugged on Zayns shirt, snapping him out of his trance. He smiled down at his sister and they walked out the door hand in hand.

They walked to the community center in complete silence, Safaa admiring the pretty flowers that were starting to grow and Zayn admiring her. When they finally arrived, Safaa dragged Zayn right up to the program director. The woman looked down at Safaa with a warm smile.

"Hi, Safaa, Zayn. Here to start the PenPal Project?" Ms. Gregory asked. When Safaa nodded excitedly, she started walking to her office, beckoning them to follow.

When they got into her office she sat down behind her desk, pulling out a few papers as they sat down in the chairs on the other side.

"Kay. Well, the PenPal Project is exactly as it's name says. You write letters to soldiers that're on duty and they write back. Your letters will be confidential and noone but you and your soldier will know what it says. This was created to give the soldiers a connection to the outside world and maybe even a friend. Now, there are only two soldiers available. Both were recently drafted, both straight out of high school. You can pick which one you want." She put the two papers labeled 'Soldier Portfolio' down on her desk and pushed them towards Safaa. The portfolio was basic information about the soldier and a picture. The first one was a girl with blue eyes and chin length brown hair named Amaelia Ernhart. The other was a boy with light brown hair and chocolatey brown eyes named Liam Payne. Safaa oicked up the page with Amaelia on it and hugged it to her chest.

"Her. I want her." She said, looking up at Zayn. "We can't just not let Liam have a penpal too Zayn! Please get him, please?" Her bottom lip jutted out in possibly the most adorable pout Zayn had ever seen. He looked at the picture again. The boy was attractive, he must admit. And he looked nice enough. Even if he wasn't gay, maybe Zayn could gain a friend. So he nodded his head and picked up the paper. Safaa smiled up at her brother, happy that noone would be left without a friend.

xxx

When the two got to the small flat that they lived in, Safaa ran to her room to start writing Amaelia. Zayn decided to do the same and sat down at the kitchen table to write to Liam for the first time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hiiii!!! I've had this idea floating around in my head for a while and decided to see if I should actually go through with it! Please let me know what you think and if I should continue this story! Thanks!

Thanks to Styles_Tomlinson_123 for the Amazing cover!

~Vero x