|02| Back from Winter Break

Song of the Chapter: Kings of Leon – "Supersoaker"

Word Count: 6060

                                       ★                                    ★                                    ★

|Back from Winter Break|

     With the winter breeze still in the air and the sun barely peeking out from behind grey clouds, I drove with the windows down, Luce blaring Kings of Leon's "Supersoaker" through the speakers at near full capacity. Call us crazy, but we liked to drive with the windows down despite the cold.  It was liberating and made me feel carefree, even if it was just for a short moment.  Besides, we were both bundled up to the nines in our winter get up, the cold barely penetrating through our layers.

     Today was the first day of school since we got out for a two week winter break. The next half of the school year was about to begin with me as a junior and Luce as a sophomore.  I couldn't wait for school to be over so I could graduate next year and be done with these people and this town.  I'd be sad to leave Luce behind, but she'd be fine without me being the social butterfly between the two of us.

     I wasn't particularly too fond of school, not because of the way I was treated by my peers, but because school in general was such a tedious thing. I was more than excited that by June next year my ass would be out of here. I wasn't sure what my plans would be for next year, but all I knew was I needed out. Specterfold was nothing but a problem for me and my strange ability.

     I pulled the car into the junior parking lot right between a red Toyota Prius and silver Chevy Silverado. Both cars looked brand spanking new, but then again most of the students that could drive had a new car. I didn't care because I loved my old rust-bucket Buick, but Luce cared; she cared a lot.

     She sighed as she lowered the radio and unplugged her iPod. "I wish we had a different car."

     I turned the key in the ignition, shutting the car off, reaching toward the back to grab my black leather backpack. "We can't afford it."

     She groaned and leant toward the floor to grab her own bag, throwing open the door, nearly hitting the driver's side of the Silverado. "I know, I know..."

     "If you know," I slung my backpack over my shoulders. "Then stop whining about it."

     She pouted unhappily. "It's just that, you know, it'd be nice if we had a newer car. Not that I don't love Rusty," She said with a pat to the roof. "But he's on his last leg."

     I rolled my eyes. She was being unreasonable. "There's nothing wrong with Rusty. He's a perfectly functioning car." Luce let out a sigh of defeat. "You just want to look cool to impress all your 'friends.'"

     She rested her hands on her hips and frowned. "Don't put air quotes around friends. They are too my friends."

     "You'll realize when you're older who your true friends are." I pivoted around on my feet and headed toward school, not wanting to be late. I was perpetually late for everything, and I was working on changing that. "Right now the only real friend you have is Mahogany."

     "Wha—Whe—When I'm older? You're only eleven months older than me!"

     With a smirk I said, "And don't you forget it!"