Chapter 2

During lunch time, I sat with Miranda and Ashton. Miranda was talking about her day and how some girl that transferred into her class was getting on her nerves. Ashton left a few minutes later saying he had something important to tell his friend at the other table. I started explaining to Miranda what had happened in the principal's office the other day but there was no way of saying it without me sounding like I had lost my mind.

When I was walking to my class from lunch, everyone was laughing at me as I walked down the hall. It wasn't until I noticed "Alix White sucks dick" in graffiti across the lockers. People were looking at me as I hurried ahead with my head down, some giggled, some were whispering to eachother. I decided to go into the bathroom instead to splash my face with water. My face was burning red and I wanted to cry but I refused to especially here. I just stared in the mirror intensely when I noticed my pupils pulsating, almost like they were breathing. The pain in my head again, I felt it but I ignored it, I could hear my heart beating louder and faster. Small cracks began to form in the middle of the bathroom mirror. The cracks slowly grew outward as if immense pressure was being forced on the mirror. As soon as i noticed blood beginning to drip from my nose the bottom half of the mirror shattered into pieces in the sink below.

That's when I realized what I can do. I realized that if I focused hard enough or if I had enough of a rush of adrenaline I could move things. I stared at the pieces of broken glass and squinted my eyes. I squinted them so hard that it began to give me a headache. Just as I was about to give up, the glass began to vibrate and then slowly levitate out of the sink. I was mentally putting the glass back together, I could feel the energy flowing through my body, from my eyes to the glass. I imagined myself being one with the glass, like I can move it as freely as I move my fingers.

Just as I was making progress someone walked into the bathroom and interrupted my concentration. The glass fell to the floor making more shattering sounds. The boy looked at me stunned, as if I took a hammer to the mirror. I grabbed my book bag and rushed out wiping my nose.

I walked back through the hall and saw the janitor cleaning up the lockers, next to him was Cameron, still looking around in her locker right by where it said "dick". I can remember her throwing me the ball saying "ha-ha you suck dick". As I walked past her I clenched my fist tightly and her locker door swung shut catching her fingers in the door. She screamed in agony as I continued on to my class with a smirk on my face. But what I didn't see was Scott McCall at his locker watching from a distance.

After school I immediately walked to the library. I wanted to learn more about my newfound talent and see if there were others out there like me. I went to the section titled "mythology" and then "supernatural", I quickly scanned the shelves for anything that related to having strange powers. I managed to find three books that seemed helpful so I checked them out.

...

When I got home my mom asked me how my day was from the kitchen and I told her it was good. Usually when I say that it's a lie but today was actually good. Knowing that I had this power, it made me feel stronger, it made me feel confident. I rushed up to my room excitedly and locked the door before she could see the books I had checked out. I sat on my bed and concentrated on my hair brush. I imagined it floating towards me as if I were a magnet. I tried and tried but nothing was working.

"Come on... come on." I said to myself determined.

"This isn't working." I stopped.

"Breathe." I said to myself as I closed my eyes.

I inhaled deeply then pointed my hand towards the brush. With my eyes still closed I envisioned the brush coming towards me again. I opened my eyes hopefully but no movement what so ever. I tried one last time and out of nowhere I remembered Richey saying "next time I'll make sure everyone is laughing at you" I focused on his words and nothing else repeating his voice in my head. When I opened my eyes the brush was already hovering over to my direction. I smiled and laughed as it came closer. I could feel my heartbeat rising again, I could hear it. As I stretched my other hand out I caught a hold of a book across the room, and then another, and another, until I had books and other belongings floating around me slowly. I was beginning to get dizzy from holding so many objects at once but I didn't care, I was feeling stronger at the same time. I felt pulses of energy leaving my body as my bed and walls were creaking and my lamp was dimming. My blinds were banging against the window and my bed slowly lifted off of the floor. It was as if everything was coming to life. I had never felt so proud and happy.